Prom portraits, C&C please

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Having not been a teenager for quite some time, and not being around them that much, I forgot just how awkward they can be when trying to pose.. I've never had to do so much micro managing in posing before..

1. The Boutonniere did not want to stay put..
Lucy's Prom 2015-9 by crimbfighter, on Flickr

2. I think the strong geometric shape behind them is a little distracting, it wasn't my first choice for a background, but I was severely limited in shooting locations with the high sun and short time frame.
Lucy's Prom 2015-15 by crimbfighter, on Flickr

3. See, the Boutonniere didn't want to stay put...
Lucy's Prom 2015-18 by crimbfighter, on Flickr

4. Lastly, I know the image isn't perfect. Distracting background, not tack sharp, etc. But I'm curious what you think about the processing on this one. It was a big departure from what I'm used to.
Lucy's Prom 2015-7 by crimbfighter, on Flickr

I've done Prom photos exactly twice, so I'm definitely no expert! And one of those was a group of girls and boys, no up close date-with-date stuff.

I like the first and third shots the best. I honestly LOVE the third shot, WITH the boutonniere turned sideways. At first, I thought, "well, you COULD probably fix that" but I think they'll love it this way because of the memories it will provide.

I agree about the background of the second shot, and it doesn't help that her hair gets lost in the dark background.

Not sure how I feel about the last. I do kinda like the way you've processed it--I think it fits the photo--but the distracting background keeps me from really being able to decide.

Not a bad set; agree with the OP and Sharon. A couple of nits. The fellow desperately needs some skin work. Just a few clicks with the spot healing tool would fix 99% of it. I quite like #4, but I wish you'd either turned her head just a bit more toward the window, or brought in a reflector camera left.

Don't care much for #4; it seems all processing and little natural beauty.
#1 is nice shot but too bright and cold for my taste and the rose is almost blown out - all can be fixed

16580228284_a31020cf12_bllll.jpg

This other is quite lovely natural smile.
17201000012_087f83aae8_blllll.jpg

Perhaps toning down the background a bit and warming it up a smidge.
Cropping to make them more important in the frame.

I've done Prom photos exactly twice, so I'm definitely no expert! And one of those was a group of girls and boys, no up close date-with-date stuff.

I like the first and third shots the best. I honestly LOVE the third shot, WITH the boutonniere turned sideways. At first, I thought, "well, you COULD probably fix that" but I think they'll love it this way because of the memories it will provide.

I agree about the background of the second shot, and it doesn't help that her hair gets lost in the dark background.

Not sure how I feel about the last. I do kinda like the way you've processed it--I think it fits the photo--but the distracting background keeps me from really being able to decide.

Thanks for the feedback, Sharon! I hadn't really noticed her hair being lost in #2, but now that you mention it, it does seem to blend in. I might be able to fix that a little bit with some selective dodging.

Not a bad set; agree with the OP and Sharon. A couple of nits. The fellow desperately needs some skin work. Just a few clicks with the spot healing tool would fix 99% of it. I quite like #4, but I wish you'd either turned her head just a bit more toward the window, or brought in a reflector camera left.

Good point about #4. Thanks for the feedback. Funny thing about his skin, is I already removed a couple pimples HE was clearly working on right before picker her up, and I guess I felt like I didn't want to take it too far, but perhaps I should do a little more selective removal.. If only it were that easy in real life!

Don't care much for #4; it seems all processing and little natural beauty.
#1 is nice shot but too bright and cold for my taste and the rose is almost blown out - all can be fixed

This other is quite lovely natural smile.

Perhaps toning down the background a bit and warming it up a smidge.
Cropping to make them more important in the frame.

Thanks for the suggested edtis, Lew. I definitely feel like the WB is a matter of taste, but it's always good to see someone else's take on the image. As for #4, you're right, it wasn't much of a stunner to begin with, and I think that's why I chose to try to breath some interest back into it with the processing.

Here was another one in front of the sliding glass door that I liked, except for their pose. They are both kinda leaning one way, which makes me tilt my head.. Plus I feel like the reflections in the glass might be distracting?

Lucy's Prom 2015-16 by crimbfighter, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back