Promo Card

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Digital Matt, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey gang,

I'm getting ready to amp up my freelancing, so I decided to make a little 4x5 promo card to pass around and put in shops. Let me know what you think. Too epic? :p

[​IMG]

2. eddiesimages

eddiesimages TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Looks great to me, Matt.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm going to assume that this was uploaded as a different color space other than sRGB because of the green light on the woman's neck.

Is it too epic? no. It either has to be epic, or empty. I think I remember a shot of yours of someone sticking his arms out holding a trombone and he's against a black background, if you used that and put your mane and contact info on that, it would be good because it's simple. This is good because it's uniformly busy. If it wasn't, it'd be bad.

4. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it.. Switch, this was converted to sRGB. The greenish cast on my wife's neck is from a pseudo cross process effect on the original shot. Does it look wierd, or detract? I'm sure you noticed as a photographer, but I wonder if the average person would think it's wierd.

5. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Matt, the first thing I noticed was Marge. Not just because she's beautiful, but because in this scene her skin looks unnatural. Probably due to red being the dominant color here?

The next thing I noticed is the line running from her lips to the sax. I'm guessing it's a power line from the original cityscape? Could just be me, but it really stood out.

I really like the overall composition of all the images. With the instruments, and the busy building in the bg, it reminds me of a concert hall. Almost like you're advertising for artists. I think I remember a shot with an old mic in it? How do you think that would look in the place of Marge here?

Overall, very nice. It would grab my attention long enough to see what was being advertised :)

6. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Jake. I went back to the pic of Marge and gave it a normal color balance. I personally thought the power line helped tie the composition together a bit. I could be wrong. I am gearing this promo torwards artists/musicians. I know there are tons in this area, and it's a market I think I can corner, because I am a musician myself. The guy I just photographed will be passing them out and posting them at his college, so that should help. I've sent these off to print already, but I may well add that old microphone you are talking about. That would be cool. I don't know if I have a great shot of it. I might have to re-shoot, but yes, that would be cool. Thanks again :)

7. splauche

splauche TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Matt....I think it looks good. I agree about the green on Marge, although I'd like to see the original image with the cross processed look.

It would get my attention, even if I wasn't looking for a photographer. That is the idea right?

8. ClarkKent

ClarkKent TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, I don't think thats too epic at all. I think you are right up there with the times. Great work

9. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Scott. I think I'll post the pic of Marge in a new thread. Yes, the idea is to get attention. I have a feeling that there are lots of businesses, bands, artists, etc that don't even know they need photography, or think what they have is good, and I've seen some pretty bad stuff, so yes, I plan to just go all out.

Thank you also Clark. :)

10. Puscas

Puscas TPF Noob!

Hi Matt,

It's a beautiful card, but I'm wondering if it serves your purpose. I'm not quite sure what epic means, but if it's the 'everything put together look' then you might be on to something.
    See, if I had a band, looking for a photographer and I saw your card, I would think that this is an example of your style. But it's not: it's an accumulation of your styles. To me this somehow merges into one style, but you have shown so many things on this forum.
    It's probably very boring and cliché but wouldn't it be better to put a few small examples onto the card - to show your bandwith - and let this be the background?

I hope you see what I'm saying, because this is a beautiful piece of work.

pascal

11. Digital Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you Pascal. I know exactly what you mean. In fact, the company I work for (school photo company) had me making the same type of thing you are mentioning. A small promo card with several "thumbnails" if you will showcasing the work. It looks nice, but it's the same card that EVERY studio has. I really don't want to do senior portraits, or engagements, etc... When I designed this card, the thinking was more to grab the viewers attention, and direct them to my website to see more, and also to get my name associated with a certain style. I think hopefully this will leave the viewer wanting to see more. I think it definetly shows that my work is geared towards the commercial/promotional market, and not the wedding/portrait market. I want my clients to use my product in their own professional lives and businesses.

The phone number is there so they can take this with them and always have a visual reminder laying around. Hey, if it doesn't work, I'll have to re-think it :)

Once again, I totally understand where you are coming from. I have shown many styles, and over the course of the last year, I've been struggling to find within myself, the direction I want my photography to go. I wasn't sure even a few months ago that I really wanted to stick with 'people' photography anyway. One of my true loves is nature, and getting up at the crack of dawn to photograph a landscape. I have settled on this avenue though.

Thanks again.

btw, by 'epic', I mean, overly dramatic, as in "Star Wars movie poster".

[​IMG]