Properly Protecting/Cleaning a DSLR?

slickhare

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i'm pretty paranoid when it comes to technology. so i've been wondering, what things should i get to properly clean and protect my DSLR? i've heard about all kinds of homemade remedies and odd transportation methods, but i was wondering what the best ways (read: things to get) to keep my DSLR clean and safe are? (without spending too much mind you)

I'd say start with a good bag. Try here as a start;
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/
They aren't the only ones nor are they cheap, but they are one of the better makers.
Common sense should be your guide on the rest. Remeber you've invested hard earned money in your camera. You can buy cleaners for your sensor, but I'd say talk to someone you trust first. It is easy if you know what you're doing. Hope this helped.

For lenses...
If you smack a UV-0 filter on the front of the lens as you take it out of the box, then you won't have to worry about keeping the lens clean..just the filter. A blower brush will take off any dust. To take off anything that is stuck, I use a highly sophisticated method of "huffing" onto the lens, and then using some lens tissue to wipe away a smudge. Anything worse, a drop of lens cleaner will do.

For the sensor, just run to the local drug store and pick up a $3 "baby bulb" to clean. Don't use your blower brush for the lenses, because you don't want anything but AIR to touch your sensor. Not compressed air, just regular 'ol air.

The body isn't something I really worry too much about...

And all my gear is tucked into a Lowe Pro Mini Trekker back pack. It isn't as easy to get to your gear, as say a Domke bag, but I prefer backpacks to shoulder bags

Good luck!

kelox said:
I'd say start with a good bag. Try here as a start;
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/
They aren't the only ones nor are they cheap, but they are one of the better makers.
Common sense should be your guide on the rest. Remeber you've invested hard earned money in your camera. You can buy cleaners for your sensor, but I'd say talk to someone you trust first. It is easy if you know what you're doing. Hope this helped.

picked up one of these for a steal! i love it! thanks for the advice!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back