property photography

Obs70

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
im new on this forum and i would appreciate some tips.
I have to photograph a property, about 10 rooms + exteriors,
for use in online brochure.
How much would you charge for it (including some PS editing) ?

Regards.
Ca

You have not provided enough details. The usual formula is payment for time + expenses + (depends on use: one photo or several photos?, advertising? magazine? real estate? and the rights being negotiated.)

Indirectly related is the quality that you can provide based on your expertise, experience, skill, and equipment. Lighting and distortion control will be your main challenges.

Good luck.

skiieur

You have not provided enough details. The usual formula is payment for time + expenses + (depends on use: one photo or several photos?, advertising? magazine? real estate? and the rights being negotiated.)

Indirectly related is the quality that you can provide based on your expertise, experience, skill, and equipment. Lighting and distortion control will be your main challenges.

Good luck.

skiieur
You'll need to know # of hits monthly on their website too.

Hi,
im new on this forum and i would appreciate some tips.
I have to photograph a property, about 10 rooms + exteriors,
for use in online brochure.
How much would you charge for it (including some PS editing) ?

Regards.
Ca

As others mentioned, it depends on the scope of the project, beyond the size of the property.

Usually, you will charge for the photographs themselves, and then you will charge for a license agreement (which usually is much higher than the first number).

As everyone stated, it depends. Typically I charge $1100 for a full day shoot and editing. This provides them with a copy of all the images, but does not include the copy rights.

If you are shooting this for real estate purposes for an agent to sell a home, the typical rate is between $100 to $500 depend on the details.

I shoot real estate in Buffalo, NY and more shoots run around $175-$200 per home.

I typically charge between $600 and $2000 for either an interior or an exterior shoot... depends on size of property, complexity of process, distance from my home, amount of post processing required, etc.

If you're shmaht and nervy, charge them whatever you decide, but give them only a 1 year usage agreement with an option to renew for a fee. (be sure to retain copyright, regardless of licensing)

If you are shooting this for real estate purposes for an agent to sell a home, the typical rate is between $100 to $500 depend on the details.

I shoot real estate in Buffalo, NY and more shoots run around $175-$200 per home.

Man I seriously don't know how you justify the time. I've done a couple homes and it takes me actually MORE time than it takes to do commercial real estate. (if I'm doing it right)

Man I seriously don't know how you justify the time. I've done a couple homes and it takes me actually MORE time than it takes to do commercial real estate. (if I'm doing it right)

Depends on the assignment. The real estate agents here in the bay area usually pay between $150 and $250 for a house. They only ask for a few images, outside front, outside rear, any special feature like a pool, finished garage, that sort of thing. Four to eight images and you are in and out. These don't require a ton of time and effort.

Now for the nicer homes where they want images of walk in closets, bars, theatre systems, custom kitchens, the rates jump up considerably. These are the shots where serious time is involved.

What do you think?....16 days and the OP is unheard from. Still sittin' there with 1 post to their credit. ;)

@manaheim - It takes me about 2 hours to shoot a home and about 2 hours to edit that home. I realize that it not a lot of money for the time invested but at this point something is better then nothing. Also realize that I am still honing my skills. I am not undercutting anyone in this area because I am the only person that is really shooting residential homes. I think that it is important to also understand what the market can handle for a certain area. If I were to charge $600 for a home, I would be laughed out of town.

Depends on the assignment. The real estate agents here in the bay area usually pay between $150 and $250 for a house. They only ask for a few images, outside front, outside rear, any special feature like a pool, finished garage, that sort of thing. Four to eight images and you are in and out. These don't require a ton of time and effort.

Now for the nicer homes where they want images of walk in closets, bars, theatre systems, custom kitchens, the rates jump up considerably. These are the shots where serious time is involved.

Have you done this and increased the rates appropriately? I could certainly see charging $200-250 for what would effectively be a drive-by and then ramping up appropriately.

@manaheim - It takes me about 2 hours to shoot a home and about 2 hours to edit that home. I realize that it not a lot of money for the time invested but at this point something is better then nothing. Also realize that I am still honing my skills. I am not undercutting anyone in this area because I am the only person that is really shooting residential homes. I think that it is important to also understand what the market can handle for a certain area. If I were to charge $600 for a home, I would be laughed out of town.

Yeah, I think this is the problem... real estate agents just don't realize how much value there is here. I did a shoot of a home and applied my usual process and attention to detail that I do on commercial buildings... and the results were nuts...

1. 3-4x the usual foot traffic on open houses.
2. About 60% of the people coming in commented that the photos were amazing and made the house look so big.
3. The house sold in record time... 1 week... for list... in this market... with backup offers.

And yet the realtor was like "Those were really nice, how much would you charge to do this usually?" (I had done it for a friend) When I told her she (as you said) laughed me out of town. Very shortsighted.

<shrug>

Yeah... this sounds about right to me. In fact, I'm amazed that you know Realtors that will part with $200 for this.

I don't shoot for Realtors. I do shoot for builders, and I think Moonb007 was right on target with pricing.

-Pete

Have you done this and increased the rates appropriately? I could certainly see charging $200-250 for what would effectively be a drive-by and then ramping up appropriately.

I have done a few of the cheaper shoots, but now I pass those along to other photographers. I still shoot the higher end homes that require more time and effort. When I push back my schedule of product shots I have to justify the time versus dollars.

The quick shots typically take 20 to 30 minutes to shoot, then you simply upload the images within 24 hours. Most of the local firms who do this are picky about shots, but nothing that a good pro would struggle with. The pano shots have to be seamless and well lit, and they rarely ask for much editing beyond that.

The hardest part of getting these gigs is the equipment list. Some of them have ridiculous ideas of what is needed to get the shots. Think of it like uncle Bob who owns a certain model or brand and believes that anyone who doesn't use that particular setup cannot capture good images. I literally had a woman in S.F. tell me that my Mamiya DL28 was not good enough for shooting a commercial office, but my Nikon D3 was. I smiled, thanked her and took the check and shot it with the Nikon.

The busiest firm in the area pays under $100 per house but you can shoot a handful or more per week.
The ones that pay the most for the drive by have a few houses per month.
The top end firms have 3 to 4 per year.

What type of lenses and lighting do you use for this type of photography? What lenses are optimal for capturing interior spaces versus exterior spaces?

Most reactions

Back