Property Prices

Rob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ukphotographs.com
Ok, I know this is a bit of an odd question, but how much is an average place where you live? In the UK, there's a really good site called upmystreet.com which does averages for your post code.

For my town, an average flat (based on 45 sales) is £192,896. The average house is £468,363 in Bromley.

Nationally in England, a flat is £176,939, and a house is £293,231 on average.

So, in short, a flat where I live costs £200,000, or $350,000 and a house is £470,000 or $820,000. London is darned expensive - you can see why I don't have a house!!!!

Rob

Wow, I knew it was expensive there...but that's crazy.

Around here, an average house is going for $200,000 CDN. ($174,000 US)
They has been a boom in new housing here...seems to be more high end stuff going up...prices around $300,000.

Five or six years ago, it was more like $130,000 CDN. The market here has shot up dramatically. I bought my house two years ago...If only I had bought a house a few year earlier....although its' value has gone up about $20,000 so far.

Some condos are going for as little as $100,000 but there seem to be more in the $150,000 range.

I am moving to Canada. A house and $176,000 change! I could buy two houses, rent one out to create an income and take pictures of the mooses!!!

Rob

Well here in screwed up California, I don't think we have an 'average' price?

An average home would be something like this:
3 bedroom
2 bath
2 car garage
1300-1800 sq. ft.

That's just approximate. In my small desert town, those houses range from $125,000-$225,000. Depends a lot on the neighborhood. Where my Mom lives, closer to LA, the same houses would go for anywhere from $225,000-$450,000. It's rediculous!!!

We purchased our home in 2000 for $52,000. We just had it appraised about 6 months ago for $135,000.

Come on over. There are plenty of jobs...especially if it involves building houses. There is actually a trade shortage.

Actually, it's not uncommon for people to own a couple of houses or condos. A friend of mine bought his house 6 or so years ago for $126,000 CDN...it's now worth about $220,000 and he's married a girl who owned a condo. They kept the condo to rent out.

You could even move into my basement...it's bigger than your apartment :lol:

My area is above average by about 30,000 for semidetached but below average by about the same amount for flats. There is one block of flats in my are and I'm not sure if they are my postcode.

Semi-detached £ 202,842 (13)

Flat £ 139,642 (21)

This is a daily conversation at our home! Aubrey says that New England is darn expensive compared to South Carolina, or in fact most of the southern states. Prices vary widely depending on where you are in the state, the further south (and closer you get to Boston) the higher the price. In our area, which is fairly rural but still expensive a three bedroom, 2000 sq ft house costs about $250-300K. Most do have a bit of land for that price, about an acre. That's the reason we bought a townhouse beacuse the housing prices, on top of daycare and expenses for three children is insane. Our townhome, which is three levels and about 1800sq ft including the finished basement ran a little under $120K but then there are a lot of fees associated with living here, the water bill is insane and the condo fees are another $175/month. And then on top of all that is property tax...which astounds me because in a townhome we don't own the property.

I really wish that we could move to a less expensive area of the country but because the boys father lives here and we share custody that's not possible right now.

Rob said:
Ok, I know this is a bit of an odd question, but how much is an average place where you live? In the UK, there's a really good site called upmystreet.com which does averages for your post code.

For my town, an average flat (based on 45 sales) is £192,896. The average house is £468,363 in Bromley.

Nationally in England, a flat is £176,939, and a house is £293,231 on average.

So, in short, a flat where I live costs £200,000, or $350,000 and a house is £470,000 or $820,000. London is darned expensive - you can see why I don't have a house!!!!

Rob

Rob,

These are about comprable to prices in DC. I saw a 2 bedroom condo in Dupont Circle (real posh area) for $850,000. I also saw a rowhose (2 story 2 bedroom 1 bath) for for about the same just down the street.

See, I COULD handle London...it ain't much different. I have a 1 bedroom semi decent apartment w/o washer, dryer, or dishwasher. I have to pay my own utilities (minus water), and it's about as far from downtown DC as you can get and still be in DC, and I'm paying almost $1,000 a month for it. What an f'ing ripoff--but I can walk to the Metro, so it DOES have it's advantages.

Where I live in Houston, you can get a 4 bedroom, 2800 sq. ft. house for around $140,000 USD. One of the lowest costs of living in the US. Spend the rest on cars.

I built my house 4 years ago. Housing in my area is pretty cheep yet you get killed in taxes... To give you an example my house is 3600 sq feet, 4 bedroom (one a master suite with large bathroom, and a small sitting area), 2-story foyer, living room, dining room, and a "sun room". It is a big house but I have 4 children and we want more. We paid $260,000. The taxes are $7000 / year. Oh and 1 acre of land.

I don't live in a typical area, being in the newest National Park, and prices have always been high here. In my village in 2005 detached houses started at around £500,000 and the most expensive sold for £1.2 million. Semi-detached are around £280,000 to £500,000, except on the council estate where I live, where they are about £220,000 to £240,000. There are no flats here.

The property immediately behind my house sold late last year. It is a very large 6 bedroom house with pool, stables, menage, 3 acres of paddock and some woodland, and it went for £930,000. That's stupid money, only affordable by people who bought London property years ago and have seen the values rise to the giddy heights that you are talking about. That doesn't mean I don't wish I could afford it of course...

I looked into property prices in Canada last year. For the value of my ex-council house here (net of the mortgage, so I would be buying with cash) I could have bought a 100 acre fruit farm in southern Ontario. Trouble is, Canada wouldn't want me, on account of being slightly too old now. Shame, but it shows how ridiculously expensive the south of England is.

Thomsk

Rob said:
I am moving to Canada. A house and $176,000 change! I could buy two houses, rent one out to create an income and take pictures of the mooses!!!

Rob

Canada is huge! The Vancouver area where I live is something like top 5 most expensive places to buy a house in North America. A 900 sq ft flat downdown can run up to $750,000 CDN, or $20 US :mrgreen: :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back