Property release?

Luap777

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am just an amateur who enjoys taking pictures. I am planning to go all around the city here and photograph Christmas decorations. This is where the nature of my question comes in.

I did some reading around on websites, and a careful reading of Dan Heller's page on model releases. It seems there is few "clear cut" answers on this.
  • All houses would be photographed from public property, hence some degree of fair use.
  • I would display them on my website, but I have no text on my website that is associated with religious/political or any "questionable" views.
  • Some houses probably would be uniquely identifiable.
  • I'd like to put them in photo gallery (on website) with title "Christmas decorations around Someplace, USA" that makes them more identifiable of course.
How does anyone else deal with Christmas photographs? I assume if I ever did need a release, that it would be easy to go back and find the house, much easier than finding specific person. I'm not asking for any final legal answer, just advice on how others deal with similar problems. It's not real likely anyone will be lining up to buy them ;) but it's not impossible.

Thank you,
Paul S.

I think it comes down to your use of the photos. If you are just displaying them on a web site...that's probably more OK than if you are selling the images. This is where 'Fair use' comes in. You have every right to take the images...but only for personal or editorial uses.

I'm not a lawyer...and I'm not 100% sure about this type of stuff...so the best advice is to ask a lawyer (or at least a pro photographer) in your area.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back