Prophoto B1 Air TTL or Prolite MBX500?

I'll agree with the OP that at times clients do demand "professional quality equipment"

Barely do the know what difference it makes. And that the same shoot could be done with an elinchrome.

But being born and raised in a place as pretentious as Dubai, I do know many photographers who have been turned down because they don't own a phase one.

You know, "how can you call yourself a professional if you don't own a hassleblad?"

Meh.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

You got my point. I'm aiming for the best so I'm battling the best. I'm not in this game to barely make living. I'm here to kill it. Beside the fact that photography is my passion it's also my business which many people forget. It is a business. You can't be the best cashing top prices the same time using amateur level equipment. I'm here for a long run. For a home run. Otherwise I would do bunch of other high profitable stuff to earn a good living. Already few walked away from just to follow one of my passion though... If money allow why not Profoto B1 unless there is something on the market providing better results and more simplistic with wireless trigger informing of all the setting and battery pack (hate wires!) with lower price tag I am not aware of??

There are some very successful photographers who use "amateur" equipment. Joel Grimes shoots Einsteins, as do a lot of other successful commercial photographers. Light is light. ;) That said, the B1 has two things going for it, battery power built in and TTL. Other than that. . . . . . just bear in mind when you're going on about "the best" and "amateur" that there are a lot of shooters who have attained quite a bit of success who don't shoot Profoto, Broncolor, etc. ;) If you were shooting commercial/advertising then I'd say you may have a valid point about client impressions, but a wedding or portrait client isn't going to know the difference between a Profoto, a Hensel, or a White Lightning. That said, I was always accused of being a tool geek so I can relate, and I see the benefits of the B1 (just not at that price point). :)

I'd agree with your point.

Hell, I shot an entire ad campaign for Dove (unilever) using nothing but visicos 300ws lights, with a refresh rate that of a snail pooping. But yes, to get paid top dollar shooting for brands such as Aston Martin's, you do need that image. And if the OP sees the requirement, and has the funds for it, why not ?

I'd myself buy profotos b1s just so my clients can see the level I'm operating at. Even if it's nothing but a facade.

I recently attended a class by Zack arias, and he mentioned that, he always carries around his phase one for his shoots, takes a couple of pictures with it, and then pulls out his Canon while mentioning to the client that it's just to try out something, clicks a few with the Canon, and many a time send the final image from the Canon, and the client doesn't even know.

Likewise, being a financial advisor, my image means a lot, if not everything. For instance I cannot walk into a meeting with my million dollar clients wearing a regular tag heuer or a "regular" rolex.

Yes, is materialism overrated ? Completely! But it is my hublot which portrays an image to the client that I'm successful, which then makes him assume that I'm good at what I do !

What do I wear on my day off on my wrist you ask? A casio gshock.

Coming back to my original point, if the OP has the money for it, why not ?

You got my point. I'm aiming for the best so I'm battling the best. I'm not in this game to barely make living. I'm here to kill it. Beside the fact that photography is my passion it's also my business which many people forget. It is a business. You can't be the best cashing top prices the same time using amateur level equipment. I'm here for a long run. For a home run. Otherwise I would do bunch of other high profitable stuff to earn a good living. Already few walked away from just to follow one of my passion though... If money allow why not Profoto B1 unless there is something on the market providing better results and more simplistic with wireless trigger informing of all the setting and battery pack (hate wires!) with lower price tag I am not aware of??

There are some very successful photographers who use "amateur" equipment. Joel Grimes shoots Einsteins, as do a lot of other successful commercial photographers. Light is light. ;) That said, the B1 has two things going for it, battery power built in and TTL. Other than that. . . . . . just bear in mind when you're going on about "the best" and "amateur" that there are a lot of shooters who have attained quite a bit of success who don't shoot Profoto, Broncolor, etc. ;) If you were shooting commercial/advertising then I'd say you may have a valid point about client impressions, but a wedding or portrait client isn't going to know the difference between a Profoto, a Hensel, or a White Lightning. That said, I was always accused of being a tool geek so I can relate, and I see the benefits of the B1 (just not at that price point). :)

I'd agree with your point.

Hell, I shot an entire ad campaign for Dove (unilever) using nothing but visicos 300ws lights, with a refresh rate that of a snail pooping. But yes, to get paid top dollar shooting for brands such as Aston Martin's, you do need that image. And if the OP sees the requirement, and has the funds for it, why not ?

I'd myself buy profotos b1s just so my clients can see the level I'm operating at. Even if it's nothing but a facade.

I recently attended a class by Zack arias, and he mentioned that, he always carries around his phase one for his shoots, takes a couple of pictures with it, and then pulls out his Canon while mentioning to the client that it's just to try out something, clicks a few with the Canon, and many a time send the final image from the Canon, and the client doesn't even know.

Likewise, being a financial advisor, my image means a lot, if not everything. For instance I cannot walk into a meeting with my million dollar clients wearing a regular tag heuer or a "regular" rolex.

Yes, is materialism overrated ? Completely! But it is my hublot which portrays an image to the client that I'm successful, which then makes him assume that I'm good at what I do !

What do I wear on my day off on my wrist you ask? A casio gshock.

Coming back to my original point, if the OP has the money for it, why not ?

As an Entrepeneur I agree with what you said. An image is important but also profoto is market leading and most innovative manufacturer though. Light is light but the user experienced is also very important. Something profoto also nailed it.

I think many people are responding from a place of their wallet, and not really aiding in the decision the OP has proposed. We get it, Profoto should close their doors because you think there are wiser options...

anyhow, Until this post I had not heard of the Priolite. It does look like an awesome piece of equipment. But, I have been around the B1 and it is very nice. I am the assistant in these Profoto B1 webinar videos and have been impressed with the Profoto line.

Profoto - Webinar

Lot of people knock TTL on mono's, but I also bet they own a light meter. The TTL is very good with the B1 and with Profoto, you're buying into a ecosystem with cross compatibility and reputation. Later want to pick up a D1, your Air Remote would still work with it. Not sure if Priolite has that same ecosystem and reputation.

Good luck in any case
~Morgan

Most reactions

New Topics

Back