Pros - camera straps?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Josh66, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So, all you pros - do you use a camera strap while on a shoot?

I only ask because of something that happened today...

We had some VIPs from some big 5 sided building visiting work today, so of course - there were photographers.

There were 3 still photographers, and at least as many videographers.

Two of the still photographers work for my comapany, the other did not (he was also the most professional looking, BTW).

The guy that didn't work for us had a nice looking Nikon (Canon guy, so no clue what it was - the Nikon equivalent of a 5D I guess), and a flash (which he never used).

The first lady form our work had what looked like a Rebel with a 17-40 f/4L and a 430EX. The other lady from work had some kind of advanced point & shoot. (I really think they just told her "here, take this and try to get some pictures".)

None of them even had a camera strap installed on the camera. I thought that was odd. Especially since there was more standing around than shooting (waiting for the VIPs to arrive).

What do you guys do?

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hand strap FTW :D

I hate chokers.

3. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ...Yeah, a hand strap would be nice.

I use (always) a Domke Gripper strap. ...Not always around my neck though - sometimes I just put it over my shoulder.

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If it were me I would have the camera strap on the camera - even the horrid one that comes with the camera is better than no strap at all * and is a real saver in arm strength if your standing around waiting.
    A writst strap is also very handy I find - more for open areas - where you can just dangle the camera to one side in a single hand without worries.

About the only times the neckstrap gets in the way are when I am working on a tripod or for some macro work.

* seriously the canon strap is horribly uncomfortable if worn on a bare neck - I have to ahve some collared top otherwise it just chafs into the skin. It might be strong but it needs some proper padding!

** OPTech neckstraps are popular since they have not only better padding (as far as I have read) but also because they have clips which can remove the main strap and leave behind a shorter part which can be clipped together for a wrist strap - also freeing you of the longer neck section so it won't get in the way

5. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Interesting side note...

It seemed that the "other guy" was going for more non-conventional shots. He was getting stuff that the other two completely ignored. Hopefully I'll actually be able to see some of the photos eventually... I might actually be in a few of them (I was pretty close to the front).

6. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I'm working off of a tripod, or in a studio setting, I will take it off...it just gets in the way. Most other times I will double-wrap the strap around my wrist while shooting.

Overread is definitely right about the factory straps...they suck on a bare neck, especially when it's hot and you get sweaty. Which is why I use a neoprene strap.

7. ::trainwreck::

::trainwreck:: TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just a random thought, but I had a Photography teacher once that was an ex-marine and he showed us some crazy way of wrapping your strap on your arm/wrist and told us that was also how they did it in the military with their guns. It's kind of like a hand strap but with more protection since its wrapped on your arm a little bit more. I also saw another photographer do this once.

8. camz

camz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use to have both installed in but just did away with the hand strap on gigs. I found that shooting with the lens pointing down that the neck strap may unfortunately get in the frame of shots.

9. HeY iTs ScOTtY

HeY iTs ScOTtY TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i wrap my neck strap around my wrist. im looking for a nice hand strap but until yhen its gonna have to do.

10. UUilliam

UUilliam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I put my camera strap (yes that "ugly one" you get with the camera)
    around my wrist ( just keep wrapping till it is tight) i even done this and place the camera outside a car travelling at 70MPH, thats how much i trust this method :)
    and i dangled it over an ocean (in a ferry)

I also wrap it around 1 shoulder then place my hand through the middle, and push my hand away from me so it makes the strap tight

I know i am not pro but hey thought i would answer =]

And where do you work that people from the Pentagon (i am assuming thats what you were speaking of?) would visit?

11. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Frankly it's all about what you feel is comfortable for you. And how you work.

My 35mm cameras were always on neck straps. Couldn't use a hand strap when I was constantly switching between 2-3 cameras. To be honest, I don't even know if there were hand straps back then. I don't remember seeing them around.

None of the others ever had one. Of course, an 8x10 would be funny on a strap :lol: But I never had one on my Hassy either. It spent most of its time on a tripod or a bracket with a flash (weddings) but it also fit in my hand perfectly...

12. Jaszek

Jaszek No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I was watching the world championships in Berlin yesterday. I was laughing how all the photogs were running after the athletes lol. But most of them had two cameras. Around the neck was a camera with a telephoto lens and when they were running around most of them had the strap dangling off the camera.

OT ALERT!!! I saw one of the videographers just push the photogs away to get a good shot of the athletes lol. I was just waiting for one of the photogs to trip lol.