Pros don't use crop bodies

As long as my customers are happy with the quality of my work, and they continue to pay me for it, does it really matter if I'm considered a "professional" photographer?

Well, it could.

I'm a "professional photographer" in every sense. If someone were to ask me if I were a "professional", and I said "No", how do I know that they weren't asking because they needed to hire one? If I don't consider myself a "professional", why would I expect my clients (who are fabulous in the "word of mouth advertising" category), to do it?

But he already has the customers that are happy with his work and then no longer considers the label important. Now before they saw your work can be a whole different subject. :)

defining "professional" is like defining "art"...
you just have to look at it and decide for yourself.

Ive never really completely understood the gear elitist attitude towards the definition of a professional though...
I know people that made their entire living off photography using a 5D classic and 40D.
we see plenty of exemplary photographic works posted here using older gear, like the 5D classic, and fantastic sports shots that were done with DX canon bodies and MF lenses. how are those people any less a "pro" than people doing the same thing or less, but with more expensive gear? Is it because they NEED the more expensive gear to get the same results? Would my portraits be better if I shot with a D800 instead of a D600? (i really have no idea, but if someone wants to send me their D800 i would gladly test the theory)

Im always surprised when people scoff at new photographers that are looking to get started with older gear like the 5D or 5DII. (or the D3 or D700 on the nikon end) when the 5D was released late 2005, it was the favored camera for wedding photographers shooting canon. I don't see why it would be any less effective a wedding camera now than it was then. sure there are better cameras out now, but having a better model available does not negate the previous models effectiveness.
If you doubt me, just look at some of what has been posted recently using a canon 5D and then try to say it doesn't produce professional results.

I don't have a definition for "professional" any more than I do for "art", but in both cases, I am fairly confident I will know it when I see it.

If it works don't get hung up on labels. There is nothing wrong with a crop sensor. Break from the mold and use what you can afford that works. I was told no one takes good pictures there first year. I was told you can't shoot the Milky Way at iso 800. The boat was shot at iso 800. Both photos were shot the first six months I started shooting. These were shot on the Nikon D5200 which is a crop sensor. The boat has been in juried gallery shows and the wave photo was a daily Frame on Riptide Bodyboarding Magazines website. Am I a pro? Well when people ask I just say I am a photographer and they can decide for themselves.

If you like the results of whatever camera you use and your clients are happy does it matter?

Carolyn_J.jpg

Kurt_Surh_Wedge (1 of 1).jpg

Sp crop sensor vs full frame argument!!! I have and will continue to shoot my cropped sensor, i am a full time landscape photographer and have no issues... My clients don't need to know what I use or how I use it, if they like the images they buy. My workshop clients find it amazing that you can do so much with a d7000, yep my baby of choice!!

Attachments

• 10384913_752494881454426_37979035012192103_n.jpg
    10384913_752494881454426_37979035012192103_n.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 11030170_808367882533792_5610141637075628753_o.jpg
    11030170_808367882533792_5610141637075628753_o.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 10407191_753580114679236_5052805805248159632_n.jpg
    10407191_753580114679236_5052805805248159632_n.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 118
I am late to the party but I have to throw in my two cents.

Everyone starts someplace and it is not at the top with the best equipment money can buy.

You answered your question when you started the thread. If your clients are happy and you are getting paid the answer is yes but not ideal. You are limited in what you can do.

From a conservative business standpoint, expand your equipment inventory as your business grows. What you think you need now and and what you will want a year from now will most likely be different.

I have a D7100. I also have a D800. Fitted with good glass I can achieve good results with the D7100. Assuming you are using the same quality lens and you are not enlarging your images the size of a barn door, your clients would not be able to tell much if any difference between images shot with the D7100 and D800.

Will you want to upgrade to a FX or medium format in the future? Probably so. Will you want more and better lenses? Yep.

Next will apply no matter what you are doing. Study and master your craft. Work hard. Sell yourself and your product. Work hard. Always have an upbeat and positive perspective. Work hard. Do the above mentioned things and your equipment needs will take care of themselves. Did I mention work hard?

The quality of a professional's work is measured by how much money someone will pay for it. Shooting good images is great and takes talent. Making money as a professional photographer is whole different ball game.

Last edited:
I think what Gary is thinking....is that the 70-200 f/4 is such a lightweight lens that he is wondering why it even needs to be on a monopod. (I think that's what he's thinking)

But, you never know if someone has shoulder or arm or back issues etc.

right, you should be able to easily hold a 70-200 f/4

Sp crop sensor vs full frame argument!!! I have and will continue to shoot my cropped sensor, i am a full time landscape photographer and have no issues... My clients don't need to know what I use or how I use it, if they like the images they buy. My workshop clients find it amazing that you can do so much with a d7000, yep my baby of choice!!

This statement ends all discussion. This is a fact. Not only don't clients know, they don't care. 99.9% of clients haven't a clue about crop or full frame.

This argument will never end among photographers. It's gotten to the point for me where it's just kind of humorous.

I firmly believe it's not the camera that takes a great photo. A great photographer is just exactly that, regardless of what hardware they're holding in their hands.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back