Protect

Can't the embedded info be changed easily? Couldn't I take any of say manaheim's photos and embed my own copyright into them and claim he is stealing them? Would there be any way to verify it from the file itself?

Can't the embedded info be changed easily? Couldn't I take any of say manaheim's photos and embed my own copyright into them and claim he is stealing them? Would there be any way to verify it from the file itself?

ya you could. but assuming you stole the photo from the web, it would probably be smaller than the original, and he (or whoever) could probably prove that they have the original. especially if said photog shoots in raw.

the reason for "embedding" the copyright info is to help deter someone in the first place. not to make in invincible from theft.

Agreed, if you have the RAW and don't ever upload it you have a very strong bit of proof that you took the original photo in the first place - I think also that there are model codes added to EXIF from the camera - but chances are that a more experienced thief would just edit these.

At the end of the day a watermark can't stop a theif and can't stop a photo doing the rounds of the net (heck ones that ask - please do not repost - tend to get reposted out of spite half the time anyway). Best thing to use a watermark for is free publicity - a small one in a corner with your website details/name on it is enough that most people who wish to can find you on the net. And many images are just googled and used by people - decorations on webpages and other such stuff - no bothering to edit out details - take the free ads ;)

if you are that concerned someone will use your photos the photos that you want secure you can put a watermark on them so if anyone does steal them then it will be harder to manipulate them for their own use.
make sure you place the watermark over the image or in a good place so it's harder to remove.

If you had watermarks across the middle of your images people on the other forum would know they were your images,For batching, I also use Batch Watermark Creator, especially the 123 process, it's pretty quick.

Most reactions

Back