Protecting Body and Lens from Rain

Buszaj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wondering, what is the best way to protect your lens and body from the rain? (Cost is a factor).

Thanks

My dad's photographer friend had a light cover that fits over your camera for these types of conditions.

Something like this: http://www.stormjacket.com/

You could probably make something like that if you're crafty enough... Use a trashbag even, just suck up your pride, cause you're gonna look stupid holding a trashbag up to your face.:lmao:

If you google this topic you can find some places that show you how to make raincovers out of quart ziplocs and cardboard in a pinch. Depending on the severity of the rain, a large umbrella and a willing friend can work wonders.

The plastic bag trick works ok in light rain with no wind, but if its raining hard or you are in high wind I wouldn't recomend taking the chance. The storm-jackets are a good item for the price ($30-$60)and they are much safer. Although I have heard of troubles with it sliding back on the lens if you are using a very long lens. But if you get the larger one and don't use it with a very long lens it shouldn't be a problem.

Method 1:

The largest Ziplock Freezerbag you can find with a 77mm uv filter superglued to a 77mm hole in the bag. put the camera in the back and ziplock it. Get the UV filter to sit over the lens barrel and take pictures.

Method 2:

http://www.markertek.com/Product.as...lass=RAINCAPES&search=0&off=0&baseItem=UMB-PM

Method 3:

Take an old raincoat sleeve and cut it off. Slide the sleve over the lens barrel and attach a filter to either the lens viascrew mount or to the sleeve via glue. Then with some of the excess sleve at theback of the lens split it apart at the bottom so that the top unfolds as a flap that covers the camera body and your hands.

I think I'm going to go with the garbage bag. Nobody in my school is a photographer like me (as in into it and big(er) gear), so I don't mind holding a bag to my face.:D

Most reactions

Back