protecting your photographs?

Dew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
a new start-up magazine is interested in publishing 2 of my photos (portraits) ... im not worried about model releases cause the photos are of me (but i do have releases for all my photos).. there is no pay involed, just photographer's credit. ... but for the first time im a little hesitant about giving my files to someone (their all digital).

for my art exibits, i control everything, i bring the photos already framed to be placed on the wall, if someone wants to buy them ... its processed through me ... i dont feel good about releasing my files to anyone .. do i have a valid concern? ... is this customary? ... can i control the number of times they can publish them? ... i dont want to give them free reign that they can use my photos over and over again ...i dont want to sound too difficult to them or come off too strong ... i just want to protect my stuff ... how does this publishing stuff work? :?

Once again, pick the Photographers Market. Even when you are not paid, or paid in copies..you need a contract outlining proper usage.

The file thing is no big deal to me.

im ordering one on amazon.com right now :lol: ... maybe i need to get a lawyer? :LOL: ... buhhhhhh, i hate the biz side of photography .. i just want to take pictures .... thx for your info

You will not regret it...it's THE manual :)

And the biz side is what separates the amatuers from the professionals...so I advise everyone who wants to photograph for a living (or for a long time) to study the biz side too.

Otherwise you'll go broke paying for your habit.

u can always get a manager/agent ... if i ever make it famous .. that's what i would do ... hmmmm, perhaps i can find a student fresh out of college who's interested in being my agent on a pro-bono basis, who can handle all the paper-work and negotiating :lol:

i dont want to be the one negotiating (right now doxx does it, but he's a little busy with his graphic design stuff) ... i still want it to "feel" like a hobby (which it is first), even if someone wants to buy it .... i dont ever want it to feel strictly biz :?

i want to photograph whatever i like without restrictions or deadlines :D

Since you'll be supplying digital files it may be worth your while to add a digital watermark.
Just a thought.

Dew;

there are some basic principles that apply here.

1 - getting compensation
2 - protecting copyright

they are intertwined. copyright dictates compensation. those that are compensated for an image have to be either the copyright owner or licensed to do so.

business is easy; it's all common sense.

download this:

http://zimberoff.com/download.htm

it's a very nice business tool for photographers. don't let it scare you. download it and get a hold of me.

when is the drop dead date on this?

within a week ... i'll draw up the conditions myself if i have to :lol: ... i'll look more into it .. what kind of conditions they have

ok, well, i think you missed the thrust of my comment; the program that i asked you to download has all of the forms you will ever need.

is that a software? ... i followed the link

yah, it is. u just have to fill out some basic information to get it. a couple of years ago it had a cost of $1,000; he gives it away for free now and also gives free support.

i got the book Photographer's Market .. i'll be looking it over tomorrow .. i got a ton of pictures to work on tonight :?

motcon said:
Dew;

there are some basic principles that apply here.

1 - getting compensation
2 - protecting copyright

they are intertwined. copyright dictates compensation. those that are compensated for an image have to be either the copyright owner or licensed to do so.

business is easy; it's all common sense.

download this:

http://zimberoff.com/download.htm

it's a very nice business tool for photographers. don't let it scare you. download it and get a hold of me.

when is the drop dead date on this?

This is a neat program. I wish I could find one that I can put my landscapes in with a title and description plus all the tech info ie F/Stops, SS and stuff. If anyone knows if and where I can find one I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ron

im still reading the book (Photographer's Market) .. while working on photos from last night, so i havent gotten very far in the book yet, :lol:

i was chatting with one of my subjects (she posed for some semi-nudes :oops: , my first) .... but anywho ... we were talking about this publishing thing and she just mentioned what u guys did .. make sure the contract is right .. i just explained to her my situation (she's modeled for lots of people and some of her photograhs have been on exibit and prints sold ... she's not the photographer) ...

i dont want my photographs to be "over-exposed" .... i would want to give them a maximum usuage ... lets say... they have rights of publishing them for one yr ... no more than 3 times ... is this an unusal request?

out of curiosity, what kind of deal would u strike with them?

*i'll be done with the book by later today, but any other advice would be helpful, my time for this is running out, i have to act fast*

Most reactions

New Topics

Back