Protective Filters...Yes or No???

Discussion in 'Articles of Interest' started by table1349, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I found your article to be a great read! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I don't (currently) use protective filters but back in the 70s and 80s when I shot a lot of film I ALWAYS used one. Thought it was pretty much 'required'. :D Here is a recently scanned slide (shared in another thread) of a shot from 1979 right into the sun with a filter:
    [​IMG]
    Philmont Scout Ranch 1979
    by Peeb, on Flickr

I would agree with the proposition that the filter likely introduced a fair bit of optic 'trash' into the image, but I must also admit that (IMO) it kinda helped the image in this case! Of course the sun star was created by the aperture blades, but see the lower left corner.

Thanks again for your reasoned and thoughtful analysis- very helpful!!

2. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

I use protective filters. I find it easier to remove a damaged front filter and keep shooting than replace a front element. I've tested filtered against unfiltered and found the differences to be insignificant. Filters go a long way in protecting the front element against destructive airborne stuff. If I shot in a controlled environment (studio) or a safe environment (overprotective) then I wouldn't consider a filter. But I don't ... so I filter.

• Like Like x 1
  3. webestang64

webestang64 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am always amazed at how many lenses come into our store to have the broken filters removed and how delighted our customers are when they find out the filter saved their lens.

4. BrentC

BrentC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd be curious on what caused these broken filters and what damaged the filters would have damaged the lens. Also if a lens hood would have prevented it. Can you give use some of the causes?

5. webestang64

Photos NOT OK to edit
    At least 75% are from dropped cameras where the lens hit the ground first. Also I have noticed that most do not use a lens hood.

6. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

I find it curious how many people attribute a cheap filter as having "saved" their lens when the do not know it to be true. But there is more profit in pushing cheap filters rather than pushing the using of the OEM hood ALWAYS. Len's hoods provide protection. Protection from stray light as well as protection from objects, bumps and drops.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. webestang64

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Darn right....filters make for good profit.

8. oldcamera

oldcamera TPF Noob!

Thanks for all the work and money you put into this. I don't see the answer to the question whether or not to use a filter. If I missed it I apologize.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

9. OldManJim

OldManJim TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I use a filter on all my lenses because, unlike everyone else, my lenses seem to attract fingerprints, dried drops of ?, dust, and various other airborne stuff. I find it's much easier to clean a filter than to risk the coating on the lens. (I don't do much studio type shooting.) When the filter gets scratched, I can just through it away.

If an image I'm making is important to me, I can just remove the filter, take the image, and replace the filter. I do agree that shooting through crappy filters is a dumb idea - unless you're going for "that" look.

10. idcanyon

idcanyon No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What the heck are you all doing to your cameras that even makes this an issue?

I am a caver and I thoroughly abuse my cameras...mud, water, impacts. In ~20 years the only damage ever done was from really fine powdery dirt getting into a lens, presumably through the the zoom ring. I don't use filters because my lenses aren't at risk in this way. I do use hoods, mainly so I can put cameras into dirty bags without having to put on the lens cap.

11. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

I have always used UV filters. They are cheap and don't affect image quality. I've broken a few front elements before I started using them. They are nothing but a thin flat piece of optical glass. If you think that might reduce the contrast you can bump it up a tiny bit in post process. I don't think it does.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheFloridaShooter

TheFloridaShooter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I have to agree with you! I've only ever utilized filters for creating the necessary effect.