Prove it!

PlasticSpanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cheshirecatcarclub.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
An interesting argument/debate began at my local RC Car Club yesterday that illustrates what our children are learning at school (or not) and possibly more interesting the psycology (sp?) of our younger generation.

The simple question was "Does the Sun move? If you find an answer it has to be with conclusive proof"

Does the Sun move? Yes. The proof? Well............!

These kids are not prepared to accept any answer just because they're told it or they read it in a book or on the internet! They want actual proof they can see for themselves! (personally I think it was a trick question answered correctly and this is their get out!:lol: )

I know how I can kinda prove it with Sunspots but how can I prove the Sun doesn't remain still whilst the Sunspots rotate around it like clouds!

It's all relative.

You're trying to prove that the sun moves in relation to what?

us? the sunspots? the rest of the universe?

Meysha said:
It's all relative.

You're trying to prove that the sun moves in relation to what?

us? the sunspots? the rest of the universe?

Ohhhh no! I'm not proving anything! I think this is one that no-one can win!:lmao: Kids can be very pedantic when they want/need to be!

I could say the sun moves because it rises in the East and sets in the West and prove it by watching it but this would be discredited with proof that the Earth is actually rotating!

Proof is inportant in this world nowadays, the world is getting harder, and you need not to trust something if it can't be proven :) well, not that serious, but you get the point, probably. Although I know some kids that just take it all for granted, and/or just don't give a ....

anyway? you wanna prove that the sun moves? You are really getting into astronomagy aren't you? :p First all the moon thingy's, and now this..:) But, you wanna proof that the sun moves, or that it rotates?

The sun is a big ball of lava, kinda. So it will almost has to move, at least internally. just like the lava inside our planet. while the monecules get hotter, or cool down, I supose they move back to the middle, or away to the outside. long story short, I'm not sure either if it rotates yes or no.

I do know that it moves around in the universe, or to put it differently, everything moves away for the sun, as does everything else moves away from everything, just because the universe expands (if it hasn't already stoped expanding, or has started contracting) hmm.. I'm not really making myself clear, am I?

hehe, good luck explaining your kid!

I think they're playing with you. It's good that they're asking for proof, but I think they're only asking to annoy you. :mrgreen:

You can counter their insistance with one word, "why".

1 - Does the Sun move?

2 - Yes.

1 - Prove it.

2 - Why?

And jsut keep saying why to whatever they say. That'll teach the little gits. :mrgreen:

hmm, wait.. coming to think of it, I haven't come with any proof really.. I can't prove that the universe is expanding, I can't prove that monecules move when the change in temperature.. I can't even prove monecules to begin with, hehe.

this is more a thing of belief, you have to Belief that the universe expands etc.

I prefer to take the Einsteinian point of view.

Does the Sun move?

It all depends upon where you are standing when you look.

Oh! Should be a little note here just incase anyone tries to do it!

"Don't try to look at the sun through a telescope, binoculars, camera etc without the correct filters otherwise eye damage WILL occur!"

Sound silly but 100's of people do it every year!

PlasticSpanner said:
Oh! Should be a little note here just incase anyone tries to do it!

"Don't try to look at the sun through a telescope, binoculars, camera etc without the correct filters otherwise eye damage WILL occur!"

Sound silly but 100's of people do it every year!
Who said that? Come closer where I can see you. I want to thump you for not giving me the warning sooner. :grumpy:

Meysha said:
ooops sorry. I didn't realise it was a hypothetical.

:hug::

Relativity is a good starting point!

I did think of starting there but realised there are way too many "Prove it" 's and "ah but what about..." 's :confused: It would've ended violently!:lol:

I gotto say that children arent just one body, but several different individuals.
Personally, children understand just as much as anybody else, but if I, for example said you can travel through time...youd ask how, which is the same as prove it.
To be honest I hate these, the answer of how kids think thing...its complete rubbish, they all just think, learn.
They know that teachers arent gonna lie for the sake of it, they know that they are probably right...but 90% of the time if a child says "prove it..." the adult will go "err...err..." now whats funnier than your mentor not being able to back up what they tell you?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back