PS CS2 Layermask Problem

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Naicidrac, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Naicidrac

Naicidrac TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello All,
    I will try to explain my question without writing a book. OK, I have two images, image A is a tritone and image B is an ordinary picture. Now what I am doing is working with these two images and making a lery mask. Both of these images are different images too. Now I take image B wich is the regular colored picture and select all, copy, and then past onto the image A which is the tritone. Now all of a sudden image B which was pasted over image A turns those tritone colors. I was just wondering what I am doing wrong. I have been playing with layermasks for a while, but this has stumped me. I guess while I am asking questions about tritones and layermasks, I have another question. When I change an image to a tritone in CS2 I cannot save it as a Jpeg any more. Can someone tell me how to correct this as well?

Thanks,

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just a guess on my part...but it sounds like a color space issue. If one image is in a certain color space (or mode)...then is pasted into another image...it should inherit the new color mode...which may affect how it looks.

3. Naicidrac

Naicidrac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    OK Mike, now I kind of thought something like this was the explanation, but I change the image to a tritone and then save it. I thought that would fix any colospace problem. I thought it would be one image on a nother one, but like I said when I past it, it changes. Thanks for the help though and is there anyway to avoid this? Also about the jpeg question, do you have any idea how to save the tritone as a jpeg or is this not possible?

4. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Is it set to RGB? Are both images 8bit? Are they both the same colour space (aRGB or sRGB)?

5. Naicidrac

Naicidrac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    OK thanks EOS JD and Mike. I changed the tritone back to RGB 8 bit and I could paste the regular image on without any color change. That also fixed my other problem. Now when I change from tritone back to RGB I can save as jpeg. I guess I need to reaserach about color space. Thanks guys you fixed my problem and I have learned.

6. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Duotone is not a color space. It's a color "mode". The only modes that can save jpgs are RGB, CMYK, and Grayscale. Duotone is for the purpose of selecting specific inks for offset printing. It can give you nice effects for photos, but you need to convert back to RGB for saving as a jpg. Obviously, you found out that when you copied the RGB image into the Tritone image, it became a tritone as well, because of the color mode. If you had pasted an RGB image into a grayscale image (grayscale is another color "mode"), it would have discarded all of the color information and hence become black and white.

I fail to see what your confusion is about layer masks though, and where they played a part in this.