Pulling away from being a beginner

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Timo, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Timo

Timo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am at the point that I want to be more than just a beginning photographer. I want to do more than take just nice snapshots.

I'm trying to think about things like form and lighting and am trying to take more photos.

What are some more ways I can work on improving?

I think I'm going to get a new lens soon. So far I've just had the 18-55 kit lens that came with me Rebel T1i. Any suggestions on a good second lens?

I guess this is a pretty open question but I want to hear what everyone has to say.

I suppose it's worth noting that I love photos like these: http://duckduckcollective.com/blog/americana/
    They're the kind of photos that inspire me.

2. PJL

PJL TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Regarding lenses, what type of shots would you like to be able to take that you can't take now?

To get narrow depth of field shots, like the girl with the acoustic guitar, you'd need a "fast" lens with a wide aperture, such as the 50 f/1.4 or 50 f/1.8 (the first is better, but is more expensive).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  3. Felix 222

Felix 222 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    if you like shots like that, your lens should do fine, but...if you prefer, find a fixed lens with a with a f 1.8 or something like that

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  4. jbylake

jbylake Dodging the Men in Black Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    1. Take some classes.

2. If you can't take classes, for whatever reason, read some good books on the subject. Just do a search here, and you can find many recommendations for good ones.

3. Your missing part of the point of being here. Take photo's. Post them here for C&C. There are many experts, and professionals that are more than willing to give you all the help you need.

Good luck

J.:mrgreen:

5. myfotoguy

myfotoguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    - Visit the photo galleries on this forum and see what critiques are being made.
    - Post some of your shots for CC
    - Read hot ot blogs for ideas of things to try
    - A couple good books may help: The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman and Learning to See Creatively by Bryan Peterson

6. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Arguably gear has nothing to do with it. Let's see a link to your work.

Love & Bass

7. Timo

Timo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Portfolio - a set on Flickr

I don't think the equipment makes or breaks it. It's like a guitar, either you can play it or you can't, but once you can better gear does make a difference.

8. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Tim
    I have the same camera and lens.
    I am pretty sure with some practice, reading, posting here and being creative you can be well on your way.

Step 1. the desire

Okay, it seems you have shown some desire. Now to really move forward, go out there shoot, shoot and compose and look for light and great subject matter. Then bring some of that here and show the guys/gals what you have done

Step 2. grow thick skin

That right, the learning experience will require critique of your work and you may not like what you hear...you will get over it if your desire is strong enough to move past Step 1.

I forgot to mention what separates the really great from the just so good.
    TIME

Good luck!!! lets see some "lights-action-camera" :mrgreen:

9. matfoster

matfoster TPF Noob!

10. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Now we are talking. Your tech and especially your style is really strong. Lot's of emotion and a good eye. Improvements would be in more direction. Your work is all over the place, which is fine for now. Consider choosing portraits or landscape or whatever. Spend a lot of time focusing on one genre only.

Gear wise; drop $1,400 for a really nice lens.

Keep us posted.

Love & Bass

11. Felix 222

Felix 222 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i enjoyed looking through your set. good stuff! PS: i added you as a contact :thumbup:

12. Hamtastic

Hamtastic TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Skip the lens. Keep concentrating on the lighting. If you are compelled to spend money buy some good speedlights and learn off camera flash, or spend the money on a vacation to a photogenically inspiring location. Spend money covering your walls with your work. Looking at it everyday, and in print, will inspire you to practice and keep improving.

Everyone wants the new lens, and it is exciting for a bit. Then you're back in the rut, because the new lens really doesn't do all that much different than the old lens. It might be a little faster, or focus a little closer, but basically it still takes the same pics.

Take Drawing 101 and Design 101 at your local college. These classes are all about how we see the 3D world, and how it translates into 2D. They will teach you contrast, and lighting, and colors, and tones, and how they all relate. Even if you don't want to learn to paint or draw these classes will teach you to see, and almost all the lessons are useful for photographers.