Pulling the trigger... Nikon D700.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by JerryPH, Nov 17, 2008.

1. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I've decided to make the puchase and the new toys are coming this Thursday or Friday.

I just ordered a Nikon D700, Nikkor 24-70 lens, the Nikon battery grip, 2 extra batteries and a couple more 8GB Sandisk Extreme IV CF cards.

Please, no one ask how much this costs... I am currently in denial! :lmao: :lmao:

Saying that I am excited feels almost like the understatement of the year to me! Christmas came early this year! :lol: :D :lol: :D

2. potownrob

potownrob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    wow, just wow.

3. Dubious Drewski

Dubious Drewski TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh man. Congrats to the max on that! The D700 is a piece of art I tell you, and you couldn't have picked a better lens for it.

I'm kind of excited for you. In fact, I'm at work right now, and there are no customers around. You've inspired me to go play with our d700.:greenpbl:

EDIT (I know this is too soon, but if you want a recommendation for your next lens purchase, get the 60mm Micro. This thing is incredible)

4. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good for you! You'll love the 24-70

bye bye D200

5. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    *jealous*

Have fun with that, I know I would.

6. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't care what anyone says about "how many MP's", those 12.3 Megapixel images can be AMAZING to look at!

Congratulations.

7. Kegger

Kegger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Awwww, Jerry. You KNOW you should have gotten the D3, lol. But congrats on the purchase.

And if you want the 8FPS cheaply, get the Phottix Cosmo, great little battery.

8. Congrats to you, have fun!!

9. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Congratz Jerry. Of course, you'll show us some photos to drool over, yes? :biggrin:

I just got my D300 gripped and boy, does it ever make my D80 look like a toy. I mention this because it was partially funded (about half) by SanDisk rebates...... keep an eye open folks.

10. JerryPH

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the compliments. I'll work hard to be worthy of such a good camera and enjoy each "clack" of the shutter. :)

I did a quick search on it and all I found were a lot of Russian posts. Where could I get additional info on these batteries and do they have a matching lower cost charger? I am still considering if I ever would need 8FPS and cannot see that time, but increasing shots per battery would be very cool (not that I would ever need more than three EN-EL3e batteries in a hard day!).

In all the time I have the D200, I never took it off single shot per shutter press, except once to make my niece chuckle with pics that I took of her tossing my cell phone up and down and once to catch a kid jumping off a bridge into the water. :)

Hey, did you know that if you bracket 9 pictures, set the bracket amount to 0... you can do 9 frames at 8FPS with even one single in camera EL-EN3e battery? A little backdoor that Nikon left out... lol

Edit: December 13th our local strobist group has access to a professional studio facility. They will have lighting and backdrops available (not that I need them). We're going to have several models available as well... and by that time I am going to be quite comfortable with the D700. I think that this is going to be my first major workout with the D700, but I do plan to visit a few low light churches and what not to test out the high ISO capabilities of the camera this weekend.

On the D200, by ISO 800, I had to start using small amounts of noise reduction software but on this camera, to get to this level, I will be at ISO 3200 if not more. That is the part of this camera that has me stoked the most. :D

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  11. jlykins

jlykins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I got to shoot a wedding with a friends D700 recently and I have to say that it was awesome. We were in the enviroment that it was made for (very low light), and it preformed perfectly. Congradulations!

12. JerryPH

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh the pressure.... as of around noon today it was in a truck somewhere in Shrewsbury,MA. It's coming closer!