Punch him or walk away?

This situation didnt actualy happen to me. they were talking about it on the radio. I got to thinking what I would do. If I felt my son was in danger I would with out a doubt take the guy out. But I see two sides to this.

To teach my son to stand up for him self. That hitting someone is not always the rite way to deal with it. (Its not like my son sees me hit people all the time). Teach my son that if someone is going to threaten him that there is nothing wrong with standing up for your self. Especialy with a young boy they need to know they can be strong and stand up to a bully. Im not saying they should puch them all in the face. But if someone is saying they will hit you and is getting in your face about it, I see nothing wrong with retaliating.

Another point to teach this angry man and my son. Teach the guy that if you keep spouting off to strangers, eventualy its going to bite you back. Teach the guy that if he keeps being a jerk like this hes going to get beat one day. You cant go around yelling at everyone and expect to get away with it. Thats a good lesson to teach my son and the angry guy.

A point to make to my son after the situation is that you shouldnt hit. But that its ok in specific situations when being threatened or protecting someone. I would hope my son would feel safer when hes with me.

I definatly see your points, Graig...but I would be another that would walk away (even though I'd love to punch him in the face)....for the pure and simple reason, that children do what you do. That's how the cycle of violence is spread generation after generation. They see adults doing it, and they think its right. And trust me, once they get it in their head that hitting is the way to go, it's very difficult to get it out. At the domestic violence program I work for, we recently had to call the Dept of Child and Family Services on a 17 year old girl that was 'disciplining' her 3 year old sister by hitting her in the face. This 17 year old has been a part of our violence prevention program for several years now, but all of our teaching to use peaceful solutions hasn't counter-acted the first 14 years in which she was taught to use violence to get her way.

So I say...lead by example, and resolve the matter with words.

Seems strange that anyone would get upset about a handprint, could it be that it was more than print, a kick or a bang on the vehicle maybe?

Could this be Daddies way of glossing over his brats actions?

Sorry about that, I just had to put an alternative view out there.

Corry I would agree with you but, we are talking two different scenarios here. No one will convince me that one isolated incident such as this will turn a child into an a** kicking machine. I'm sure the 17 year old you mention was raised in an environment where that happened on a daily basis. Probably for a whole host if ignorant offenses as well.

I'm not talking about decking every moron that comes my way either. If I was I would be a pretty busy guy.

mrsid99 said:
Seems strange that anyone would get upset about a handprint, could it be that it was more than print, a kick or a bang on the vehicle maybe?

Could this be Daddies way of glossing over his brats actions?

Sorry about that, I just had to put an alternative view out there.

:lol: and a good one it is.

I would do both, I would first place my child in the car, walk up to the man, and ask him to please apologise, say sorry that my son touched his car, that to please not threaten my son, and so on, hopefully diffusing it that way.

If, however, they were going to hit my, I would simply place them in an arm lock or something similar, so that they arent in pain, but cant hurt me or my son, and explain this later...

Your first obligation is to your child, so you walk away. It's amazing how fast violent encounters can escalate. Who's watching the kid while you are fighting? What happens if he knocks you out (even if it's a fluke), or does have a gun, or baseball bat? You have to think about your child first, your pride last.

Then you have obligations to yourself and society. Even if it was more than a single handprint, exploding at a father and child is crazy behavior. It's not worth possible injury, arrest, or legal fees. Even if you kick his ass, and only he gets in trouble, it's not worth worrying about whether he's stalking your family looking for revenge (remember, he's already demonstrated crazy behavior). Crazy assholes just aren't worth the trouble, no matter how much they deserve it.

Look on the bright side, behavior rarely changes on it's own. Someday this guy is going to light up on someone who is crazier than he is, and he's going to get it.

steve817 said:
I'm not talking about decking every moron that comes my way either. If I was I would be pretty busy guy.

This was the point I was trying to make. The chances of being in a situation to hit someone and it be for a legit reason is very rare. My son seeing me hit a guy once in his life wont make him go around hitting everyone. Especialy when the first thing I do when Im done cleaning the guys clock is to talk to him about the situation.

If I were in that situation though I would try to keep from hitting him. :hug::

Forget about punching him...what about 'bokeh' style grappling? That would really teach him. :lol:

Never mind....bokeh I got it. Where is he anyway?

Anyway I wouldn't consider grappling as an option. The only person I care to roll around on the ground with is Mrs. Taylor

steve817 said:
Never mind....bokeh I got it. Where is he anyway?

Anyway I wouldn't consider grappling as an option. The only person I care to roll around on the ground with is Mrs. Taylor

WE DON'T CARE WHERE HE IS!!!! DON'T JINX US WE DON'T WANT HIM BACK EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back