Purchase Advice. B+W vs HOYA

sinjans

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So B+W CPL are about $170 on Ebay (77mm kaesemann MRC CPL) and the Pro 1 from Hoya is available at about $100. I'm looking for more of a professional opinion regarding what makes B+W better/more expensive and is it worth the extra $70? B+W talks of hardened glass and advanced sealing/Brass, While some say Hoya are the best on the market. I ran a search on this forum and google prior to this post with fruitless results and i plan on ordering the filter tonight. I dont want to spend the 170 if the Hoya is just as good. Thanks in advance

I've always heard that B+W filters tend to be overly expensive. In other words, you are paying for the name. But for all I know, they could be better.
You might also consider a Singh Ray, as I've heard very good things about their 'pro' line of filters...but I think their CPL might be more expensive than the B+W.

My philosophy, when it comes to things like this, is to avoid the cheapest options and to avoid the most expensive options (unless I can clearly see that the most expensive is much better).

kaesemann is sealed. You aren't comparing apples to apples. I have both, all 3 actually. I prefer the B&W to the Hoya. I also prefer the piece of mind the kaeseman provides. But!!!!, I find the kaeseman versions harder to turn likely due to better sealing. I cannot tell any difference in image quality between any of mine, but B&W has never put up a fight when it came time to remove it. The Hoya on the other hand has.

kaesemann is sealed. You aren't comparing apples to apples. I have both, all 3 actually. I prefer the B&W to the Hoya. I also prefer the piece of mind the kaeseman provides. But!!!!, I find the kaeseman versions harder to turn likely due to better sealing. I cannot tell any difference in image quality between any of mine, but B&W has never put up a fight when it came time to remove it. The Hoya on the other hand has.
Just a note, kind of a dragging the fingernails across the blackboard kind of thing, but it's B+W (plus), not B&W (and). :lol:

But yes, the Kaeseman sealing is nice though not necessary unless you are goint to be in an extreme climate. The the high quality Schott glass B+W uses and MRC coatings are worthy too.

Hoya makes some good stuff, but they also make some junk so be careful what Hoya items you buy.

As Mike mentioned Singh-Ray is tops in quality and price.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I would call Newfoundland and Labrador an "extreme" Climate. I will have a look for the singray and will probably skip the hoya this time. Cheers folks. thank you very much.

ps. If you have any trusted links to singray dealers drop them in if you have the time. Thanks

Just a note, kind of a dragging the fingernails across the blackboard kind of thing, but it's B+W (plus), not B&W (and). :lol:

But yes, the Kaeseman sealing is nice though not necessary unless you are goint to be in an extreme climate. The the high quality Schott glass B+W uses and MRC coatings are worthy too.

Hoya makes some good stuff, but they also make some junk so be careful what Hoya items you buy.

As Mike mentioned Singh-Ray is tops in quality and price.

Crap, I have B&H on the mind. LOL Still waiting on my mkIV.

I have B&W speakers so I make that mistake a lot.

I have just compared the filters in the link posted above. The B+W filters have some quite wicked coatings on them. I can't think this would be too much of a benefit for polarisers though as quite often the polarising effect is done at an angle 90degrees from a light source to get a decent effect rather than straight into it, meaning that there shouldn't be flare in the image anyway.

That said I have recently become and unreserved fan of B+W.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back