Purchased Olympus EPL-5 - Any guides on understanding menu system + beginners guide?

jamaljan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi..

I've purchased Olympus EPL-5 2 days back and am trying to understand the menu system. This is my first switch from P&S/camera to such a system. I'm already downloading Lynda guide on Up and Running with Micro Four-Thirds Cameras. Are there any other guides etc that I should be looking at?

I'm using the kit-lens 14-42mm and am rite now specifically looking if I can shoot Bookeh pics with the kit lens as this was one of the main reasons to switch to this camera.

Go on you tube. The EPL5 has one of the best interfaces of any camera I own but comes with so much not activated. Also you may find your pictures orangey in colour because by default the white balance is selected to warm. Once you activate the super control panel it is a joy to use. The downloadable pdf instructions are good if not a little hard to follow. Really though YouTube is your friend here

Olympus has some ot the most complex, disgustingly frustrating menu setups I've ever seen. But if you stick with it eventually you begin to get the hang and sense of it. Just keep at it. And that super control panel helps a lot.

You can get some decent selective focus (somewhat shallow depth of field) portraits with that kit lens once you understand how to work with and control DOF. It generally works best in generally smooth light (golden hour before sunset or in open shade) at max telephoto end, max aperture (f5.6 can work), and with managed cam to subject distance and managed subject to background elements distance.

Read the manual and keep reading it, their menu system in my opinion was a bit over the top, it was for me,I switched to a Fuji xe2 and like it, the menu, and the bigger sensor very much.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back