Purchasing a camera for product shots

Since a SLR almost certainly commits you to some amount of post-processing, which will complicate matters AND your boss wants this to be simple, you might consider a good quality P&S along with a tripod.

That will save much money and time. P&S, by virtue of their design come with wide angle lenses and will produce good-enough quality of casual shots.

You can then use the $ for a basic cheap lighting kit and backdrop, calibrate the camera setup and you are done. Fast, cheap and efficient.

This is going to be a problem because product shots of fairly large items taken from relatively close up will show some distortion in the straight lines or perspective. For example, a object that is 8 feet tall and 5 feet wide will almost fill the screen of a camera using a 24 mm lens. (a relatively wide angle lens) when the camera is 9 feet from the front of the object. (this assumes a cropped sensor digital camera as oppose to a full-sensor) An image of any object with straight edges may have to be corrected in post processing.

You need to rethink this issue before committing to any camera/lens/studio setup.

Here are three good links that might help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_view
http://www.kevinwilley.com/l3_topic03.htm
http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/EFLenses101/focal_length_chart.html

What they are saying, in short, is that, for any given object size, the closer to the object that the camera must be [i.e. the size of the studio/set and camera position], the shorter the focal length of the lens has to be and the greater the potential distortion. A longer lens will give less distortion but must be further away.

Serious commercial and product shooting requires tilt/shift lens to control distortion and a camera like the Canon Mark III or Nikon D3.

The problem with companies and organizations is that they most often go too low on budget and too high on the expectations. Without the right camera, lighting and studio equipment, as well as a very experienced photographer, the results will look amateurish.

skieur

Although we want good quality photos, these will mainly be for documentation, website, and some take-away flyers for customers. We will still be going to a professional photographer for the more important items. I should emphasize that my boss does _not_ want this to be a complicated process.

This is a where the OP must come in on budget, make it simple and, most of all, manage expectations for his boss

The OP might consider printing out this thread for his boss to read.

Altho there seems to be some mission shift from the first post.

These will eventually make their way to print and/or a website.
I would also imagine that a fairly high MP would be good considering these will be printed in catalogues, brochures, etc.

Perhaps the OP should get the boss to clarify the needs and the limits.

Inexpensive, simple, good. - Pick any two.

Sorry for the confusion. From what I understand, what we want is:

• high-resolution / good quality shots for print
    • print will most likely be the take-away flyers I mentioned earlier. The catalog photos will most likely be professional photos.
    • these will also be used on the web
  • good quality, but not necessarily "professional". I know this is vague and poorly communicated, but it's the best I got!
The lighting will be taken care of by a pro. AFAIK, he will set up a continuous lighting set which will remain static. We're just taking care of the camera.

I know distortion is an issue, but unless it's insanely obvious (I know photographers have a keen eye for small blemishes), it probably won't be an issue for us. Who knows, maybe the kit lens will be enough for what we're doing.

Honestly any DLSR will do just fine. there is no DSLR that is suited to shoot specifically product shots. Buy the cheapest body you can and get a decent lens or just use the kit lens I dont think you are going to notice a difference. If a pro photographer set up the lights and all you need to do is press the shutter button then you will be fine. The only thing is I do not think the same lighting will be useable for differing products, you are going to need to move it around a bit.

Honestly any DLSR will do just fine. there is no DSLR that is suited to shoot specifically product shots. Buy the cheapest body you can and get a decent lens or just use the kit lens I dont think you are going to notice a difference. If a pro photographer set up the lights and all you need to do is press the shutter button then you will be fine. The only thing is I do not think the same lighting will be useable for differing products, you are going to need to move it around a bit.

Thanks! yeah, I think we may buy it with the kit lens and see how we like the quality.

I may have to ask the pro photographer about different set-ups for different products when he comes. I'm sure he can give me a few ideas to work with.

When you say 'get a decent lens', is there just a general-use lens that simply is better quality than the kit lens? Specifically for the D80 if possible.

I'll just throw this one out there. It's not the camera that does the nice quality photos, it's the person behind the camera. You can take amazing pictures probably with any DSLR camera, it's you that does the amazing job at it. :) I enjoy my camera, Canon Rebel XTi and there is also the new one, XTs. Whatever you choose I'm sure it will be great. Good luck to your product shots!

Guys, I have to disagree slightly with some of the comments I've read. Some of you are saying its not the camera but the photographer that makes the picture. Well, I agree with this for the most part... it does take a person with an eye for the shot to make a nice shot. And with a certain amout of knowledge, obtaining that shot becomes easier in my opinion. But in my mind, the equipment does matter. With a quality product or tool... one with a broader range of options or capabilities, for example, it can certainly make the journey a little easier and your creative range much more inclusive. That's just my opinion.

In any case, the camera to a photgrapher is as a brush is to a painter. And I don't think Michaelangelo would have settled for a Q-tip if he had a choice.

Just liike I tell my customers.............

One guy came to me once and said, "Man, I could take my own shots, who needs a photographer?" And I said, "Yeah, I could build my own car too, but I'd rather just buy a Ford." :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back