Purchasing a DSLR for the first time, please help!

Should I buy the Nikon D3400 or Canon EOS Rebel T6?

• Canon EOS Rebel T6

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

airie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone!

I would like to invest in a nice camera but I don't have any experience in photography and I'm not quite sure where to start. I did some research via Google and it seems that I need to choose between Nikon or Canon. At first I had my heart set on a Canon but I read that Nikon entry level cameras are a little bit better than the Canon entry level cameras. What are your thoughts? I don't know enough about the specs to really understand how one is better than the other. For example, I read that the Rebel T6 doesn't have a stabilizer, is that necessarily a bad thing? Yes, I am a bit lost.

I have no immediate plans to go into photography. It's strictly for my personal enjoyment. I would like to take nicer pictures of my family, events, outings, the sky, the sea, my cat, etc. Even though it's trivial stuff, I'm the artsy type so I want to be able to play with lighting, focus(ing?), etc.

As far as price point, I'd like to take advantage of the upcoming Black Friday sales. It would be nice to keep it under/around $500.
Here are some deals I found:
Canon Black Friday 2017 Sale & DSLR Deals | Blacker Friday
Nikon Black Friday 2017 Sale & DSLR Camera Deals | Blacker Friday

There are lenses included in the bundle but I don't know the differences between them. Is there a lens that you think I should absolutely have?

So, with all of that, I've narrowed it down to either the Nikon D3400 or Canon EOS Rebel T6. But really, please give me other suggestions if you think there's something better.

Thank you!

Go for the D3400 over the T6, unless you are spesifically looking for a canon system. Nikon are slightly ahead of Canon at the moment and the sensor in the T6 is outdated now.

Lens wise two very useful focal lengths are 18-55mm and 70-300mm. The 18-55mm is a wide angle to short telephoto, so suited to places where you want a wide field of view (like a street shot or landscapes for example) or you can get close to the subject, it'll also do a decent job of close up photograhy. The 70-300mm it a medium telephoto, so useful for subjects at a greater distance, portraits where you want to isolate the subject or picking or a few details of a scene. As a general lens most people go with an 18-55mm as their first.

I voted the D3400, I carry a D3300 for my work / travel camera. The thing with the D3400 vs the T6 is the D3400 is an updated camera using newer designed parts. The Canon T6 is a camera thrown together with older designed parts (mainly the sensor). Canon's top end equipment is very good of course. But their lower to mid level equipment they seem to be taking a "lets make some proffit" approach. They still use older sensors that were once top of the line years ago in their current models. But technology has moved forward and they have been surpassed by newer designs. That is not to say they will not take good pictures. As they will. It's just they are an older design and are not as capabable as newer designs. The T6 compared to the Nikon D3400 will not be as good in ISO, or dynamic range, or color. Now a person taking snaps of their family would probably never notice the difference.

If you don't care about system and just want a good camera. The D3400 would be the most current and more capable (sensor) camera. Now if you believe Canon to be the better "system" and think possibly in the future you might move up into it's better equipment. Then the T-6 might not be so bad for family snaps until then.

I see everybody is recommending Nikon and saying Canon T6 is outdated.

Is there any other Canon model that is perhaps a bit more expensive but can match Nikon?

Is there any other Canon model that is perhaps a bit more expensive but can match Nikon?

Welcome to the forum.

In my opinion you would have to go up at least double in price before you start getting a sensor of the same quality. But at that price you would also be getting better controls and build in the body. The Canon 80D would be the lowest model in Canon System I would consider. That would be an intermediate camera not entry level like the Nikon D3400. Apples to Oranges and all that.

The thing with Canon is they have several models say priced $100 more each as you go up in camera models. But they have the same old sensors. They just give you some other control or capability. But it's still based around the same older sensor technology.

The Canon that is most similar to the D3400 is the Canon T6i. Most of the reviews seem to have it about equal to the D3400 but it is more expensive. I think the sensor in the D3400 is better although they are both 24 mp. The Canon T6 has the older 18 mp sensor.

If starting truly from scratch I would also recommend Nikon. Unfortunately I am tied to Canon and about as Poor and unable to do as I wish as anyone you would ever find.
I hope to score a cheap 20, 30 or 40D.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Canon can never match Nikon I'm afraid :) ;) ;)

That was a joke in case humour wasn't picked up

Is there a lens that you think I should absolutely have?
Hello, and welcome!

There will be plenty of time for that as you grow in the hobby. The first kit you purchase is just that: The first kit. If you stay with it, you will find yourself wanting more stuff and getting more knowledge/experience all the time. I think you will be happy with the Nikon D3400 and two lenses to start with, even though that kit is considered an "entry level" kit. I'd say that within two years at the most, you will begin to develop a preference for one or two types of photography, and will have purchased some additional things, such as a tripod and perhaps a third lens for instance. Take your time with it and enjoy the learning process.

Pick up both of them. The one that feels best when you try to reach all the buttons is the one to get.

The two lens kit is actually a great deal. You end up paying only about $100 extra for the 70-300mm. Keep in mind though, the 70-300mm lens that comes with the kit does not have vibration reduction, which seems real strange to me. You will need a tripod to use it effectively. The other lens I would add is a 35mm 1.8 DX prime lens.

Thanks everyone for your time and advise! Overwhelming support for the Nikon so that's probably the one I'm going to get ^^

The two lens kit is actually a great deal. You end up paying only about $100 extra for the 70-300mm. Keep in mind though, the 70-300mm lens that comes with the kit does not have vibration reduction, which seems real strange to me. You will need a tripod to use it effectively. The other lens I would add is a 35mm 1.8 DX prime lens.

Do lenses usually have a vibration reduction? Would my pictures be blurry if I don't use a tripod? Thanks!

Do lenses usually have a vibration reduction? Would my pictures be blurry if I don't use a tripod? Thanks!

Not all lenses have vibration reduction. You have to be more mindful of shutter speed if you have no vibration reduction. A rule of thumb is shoot faster than the focal length relative to fraction of second. Example, if you shoot with a 100mm lens go with a shutter faster than 1/100th of a second, but this is only a rough guide

Most reactions

New Topics

Back