Purchasing a DSLR for the first time, please help!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by airie, Nov 10, 2017.

?

Should I buy the Nikon D3400 or Canon EOS Rebel T6?

1. Nikon D3400

100.0%
  2. Canon EOS Rebel T6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. airie

airie TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Thanks everyone for your time and advise! Overwhelming support for the Nikon so that's probably the one I'm going to get ^^

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. airie

airie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Do lenses usually have a vibration reduction? Would my pictures be blurry if I don't use a tripod? Thanks!

3. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Not all lenses have vibration reduction. You have to be more mindful of shutter speed if you have no vibration reduction. A rule of thumb is shoot faster than the focal length relative to fraction of second. Example, if you shoot with a 100mm lens go with a shutter faster than 1/100th of a second, but this is only a rough guide

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, the T6i, 77D, 80D and 5Dmkiv are close, but still some way from the Sony sensors used in the Nikons. Basically you'll get a little more ability to capture difference between shadows and highlights plus less noisy photos at high ISOs (think better in low light) with Nikon. If you moved up to a D5500 or above the Nikons are ISO invariant, meaning that you'll get much more latitude to recover underexposed shots with basically no noise penalty, which is a massive advantage for a beginner.

• Like Like x 1
  5. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    VR/IS is handy to have but is not a deal breaker. Movement of the subject can also cause blur, and in a lot of situations you'll want to use a higher shutter speed anyway to freeze subject movement (like people, animals, even a boat bobing on water or trees blowing in the wind). If your subject is still or you are using a long focal length with a resonably static subject VR comes in useful to trade a lower shutter speed for a lower ISO meaning less noise, bearing in mind that you can use noise reduction to fix in post but you can't fix blur. It also comes in handy for close up photography.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. dunfly

dunfly No longer a newbie, moving up!

VR reduces blur from camera shake. The 18-55 mm lens that comes with the kit does have VR, but you don't need it so much in that range. When you get out to longer focal lengths, camera shake becomes more pronounced, which is why the 70-300 mm without VR makes no sense to me since that is where you need it, particularly on the long end. It is, in fact, not a deal breaker at the price you are paying for it. Yes it is an annoyance, but you can compensate for it by shooting higher shutter speeds. I find the 1/focal length formula is to slow. I shoot at almost double that to eliminate camera shake (but I have shaky hands). So if I am using the 300mm end of the range, I will shoot at 1/500+ or use a tripod. If you have steady hands, you can also brace yourself against a stable object and shoot lower shutter speeds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. davidharmier60

davidharmier60 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Going back to my film days.
    I shot a LOT with 300mm.
    Almost all aircraft but many in flight.
    Didn't lose all that many to focus issues.
    Shoot the fastest shutter speed you can get away with and you'll be ok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

8. BananaRepublic

BananaRepublic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    What VR is meant to do is reduce the effect hand shake has on the photo. Unless your the Terminator you have hand shake you just dont notice it but I wouldn't be overly worried about it.

9. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Some have VR, and some don't. There is one version of the 70-300mm that does have VR, but that version is not the one in this kit.

You can generally get by without VR, just as we all did in the olden days. Learn proper camera-holding techniques, and you should be good for average conditions.

Hand-held shots can be very good with proper technique, and if you still get blurry shots, then a tripod might be in order. Typically, if the long lens is set to 300mm, your shutter speed should be at least 1/300 of a second or faster, but you still need to learn to hold the camera steady regardless.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    gonna be a contrarian and say Olympus OMD EM10 II

11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Currently the vote tally is 9 votes for the Nikon D3400, and 0 votes for the Canon Rebel T6. The Nikon really does have an amazing sensor inside of it: fantastic file recovery capability on the raw files is what the new-era Nikon bodies offer; this is, in my opinion, the single biggest help to the beginning and intermediate photographer; that is to say, the ability to easily re-adjust the original exposure in software, later, using the raw file data and a raw file converter like Adobe's Lightroom, or Capture One, or some other raw conversion software application.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. airie

airie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Hey everyone I have another question. So I'm looking through all of these deals and these bundles and I'm not quite sure which one I should get. The amazon bundles include SO many things and I don't know if I would ever need them.

Should I keep it simple and just get the Best Buy $499 (D3400 camera, two lenses, 36gb SD card) or spend a bit more and have everything...
    https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-3-5-5-...pID=61gBMRVhJcL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

while I'm at it there's also this bundle for the D5300 for $100 more...(both lenses are VR though)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X1FQ1R...lR&pd_rd_r=NW6ZQZTBSEH8J0R5NHMG&pd_rd_w=kYUuV

Thanks again!