Purchasing a DSLR for the first time, please help!

Should I buy the Nikon D3400 or Canon EOS Rebel T6?

• Canon EOS Rebel T6

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Pick up both of them. The one that feels best when you try to reach all the buttons is the one to get.

yes, picking up a small and light mirrorless usually feels best (and better)

(and mirrorless cameras can easily use the big DSLR lens)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless
WHY?
Because we want them to keep shooting and not put the camera down after a couple of rounds.
Why was for Beagle.

To airie, the OP: My advice is the following: Stick with Nikon for a few years...I've shot Nikon since 1982...I bought myself a FULL, 2-body, $10,000 Canon d-slr and lens and flash system a few years ago and used it concurrently with my Nikon system...I SOLD off the Canon system, (580 EX-II flash, 20D, 5D, 50/1.4, 50.1.8, 18-125 Sigma EX,135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/2.8 L-IS USM, 24-105mm f/4 L IS-USM, 135 2.8 Soft Focus, 85/1.8 EF, 100mm f/2.8 IF Macro), and kept the better system for me...

ADD a mirrorless system body if you want to, in the future, but do smart research!

Right now, work on learning how to "do" photography! Read some books from the library. Watch some videos on YouTube, but realize that YouTube has a LOT of low-experience noobies making videos about things they JUST only recently learned to do; BOOKS on the other hand, are carefully vetted by publishers, and are written typically by people with vast experience, and are edited by people who understand the field the book is competing in.

Be careful of who you learn from, and be careful of people who give you "good advice".

Just sayin...

I will add that Nikon (applies to canon also) is a great choice simply because they have been around so long, parts, lenses, accessories are readily available and it's easy to pick up third party and second hand gear for these well established models.

There is probably no best setup as plusses and minuses for everything. However at your price point and choice it be hard to beat what you just bought.

As for mirrorless, saying they are better or worse is pointless. They have advantages add disadvantages, try autofocus tracking birds in flight with an entry level mirrorless system that cost the same as your Nikon setup. However for less action type shots, for slow moving and for video, a nice small mirrorless can be the job because it's more likely to be carried more places.

When you get into photography you'll know what you need in a camera and whether a step up or a backup system is required. My thoughts are you'll use the Nikon and be more than delighted with it

To airie, the OP: My advice is the following: Stick with Nikon for a few years...I've shot Nikon since 1982...I bought myself a FULL, 2-body, $10,000 Canon d-slr and lens and flash system a few years ago and used it concurrently with my Nikon system...I SOLD off the Canon system, (580 EX-II flash, 20D, 5D, 50/1.4, 50.1.8, 18-125 Sigma EX,135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/2.8 L-IS USM, 24-105mm f/4 L IS-USM, 135 2.8 Soft Focus, 85/1.8 EF, 100mm f/2.8 IF Macro), and kept the better system for me...

ADD a mirrorless system body if you want to, in the future, but do smart research!

Right now, work on learning how to "do" photography! Read some books from the library. Watch some videos on YouTube, but realize that YouTube has a LOT of low-experience noobies making videos about things they JUST only recently learned to do; BOOKS on the other hand, are carefully vetted by publishers, and are written typically by people with vast experience, and are edited by people who understand the field the book is competing in.

Be careful of who you learn from, and be careful of people who give you "good advice".

Just sayin...

Thank you so much for your advice!! They ultimately helped me choose the Nikon! I received the camera today. It's overwhelming with all of the gadgets so I'm sure I'll be posting again aha.

Just sayin...

Thank you so much for your advice!! They ultimately helped me choose the Nikon! I received the camera today. It's overwhelming with all of the gadgets so I'm sure I'll be posting again aha.
Congradulations on the new camera.

YES! Congratulations on the new camera and accessories, airie! Use it in good health. Have FUN with your new gear!

After a few youtube videos I decided to shoot on the "A" setting and took a picture of my cat!

I've always wanted to do the blurry background haha
Screen%20Shot%202017-11-16%20at%2011.06.37%20PM.png

After a few youtube videos I decided to shoot on the "A" setting and took a picture of my cat!

I've always wanted to do the blurry background haha
Screen%20Shot%202017-11-16%20at%2011.06.37%20PM.png

You need to change to a different photo storage provider than Photobucket!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back