Purchasing a new lens

rub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking at purchasing a new lens. I currently only have the kit lens for my D80, a 18-135mm f3.5 - 5.6. I can see my images improving, and the more pictures I take, the more I hear that people would like me to photograph them.

I am not a pro, obviously. But I love photography, and I know that other people like my images. They may not be everyone taste, but I'm fine with that.

I have recently been approached (4 times, 4 different families) about doing family portraits. It seems there is a lack of professional photographers in my small town. Now, of course I would like to take on the work, but I have told all of these families that I am learing, and that I may take longer than a pro with my set up, but I will be able to get them some nice shots. (I know they like my "style" as they all came to me after seeing my candid work.) Of course I am nervous, but I have arranged a price that works for both, I have got a model release form, and I am slowly adding equipment so I can have more control over what I produce.

So, I plan on purchasing a new lens this week. I am looking at the Nikon Nikkor 50mm f1.8 ($150) or the 50mm f1.4 ($350)

Is it worth the money for the larger apeture? Should I be considering the Sigma 50mm f1.4?

Keeping in mind what I m shooting, what do you think is the right lens for me?

Thanks so much.
Kristal

thanks, that is very interesting. I wonder now if those compasisons relate to the Nikon as well....hmmm....

The Nikon 18-135 lens is actually great for portraits. Mine is outstanding in the 105-135mm range. Between the f/1.8 and f/1.4 50mm lenses, I'd get the f/1.4. It's not the extra two-thirds of a stop that will make the difference for portraits, but rather the fact that it has a much creamier out of focus area rendering (bokeh) than the f/1.8 version. The bokeh is poor on the f/1.8 and can get pretty ugly and distracting if you're not careful. Same on the 85mm f/1.8 vs f/1.4. The f/1.8 has ugly bokeh but the f/1.4 is incredibly creamy and smooth. 50mm is a little short for tight head shots and will start to give a distorted look on faces, but if you're just starting it's fine.

50mm is a little short for tight head shots and will start to give a distorted look on faces

Funny how very few people are actually capable of seeing that consciously.
Well, not funny of course. Sad, really.

+2. jeez man keep going.

Thanks for the feedback. I have read about the bokeh issues, so that will be a big factor for me. And yes, I will be using the 50mm for more of the group shots...I dont need to make anyones nose any bigger ;o)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back