Purchasing Equipment

UncleRico

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have saved up a little money to buy some new equipment but I am struggling to make a decision on where to spend it. I mainly shoot portraits, but would like to keep my options open.

Here is a summary of some of the things I already have:

Nikon D80
50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2x Alienbees b800's w/shoot through umbrella and large softbox
a couple of backdrops
Elements 7.0

There are so many things that have been tempting me lately. I'm considering the following:

SB-600
ABR800--any one have comments on this?
Monitor calibration probably Pantone huey (b/c it is cheap)
Upgrade to CS4
Lightroom

I don't have a lot, but want to know what people think would be the best investment.

Thanks!

Ryan

I have saved up a little money to buy some new equipment but I am struggling to make a decision on where to spend it. I mainly shoot portraits, but would like to keep my options open.

Nikon D80
50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
a couple of backdrops
Elements 7.0

There are so many things that have been tempting me lately. I'm considering the following:

SB-600
Upgrade to CS4
Lightroom

I don't have a lot, but want to know what people think would be the best investment.

Thanks!

Ryan
If you don't know what you need, you don't need anything, except maybe more knowledge.

[/quote]If you don't know what you need, you don't need anything, except maybe more knowledge.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for taking the time to talk down to me.

I'll be the first to admit that I need more knowledge, but it wasn't a question of what I needed . . . the question was of the equipment listed, which would be the best investment. I would like to have all of what I listed, but was trying to prioritize based on available budget.

I don't understand why so many people have to cop an attitude on forums. Really, get over yourself.

I think lightroom has been one of the most rewarding purchases for me in terms of enjoyingthis hobby and expressing things creatively.

well i have a nikon d50 and a d70.

i am looking at a cheap used nikon d80.

why?

sometimes i need more mp to crop
i like also more processing features the d80 offers to the d70 and d50
now i have heard that a d80 generally over exposures and that the matrix metering some times fails.

any tips about the d80 in respect of my work (general gallery) and in my welcome thread..

thanks

dirk

If you don't know what you need, you don't need anything, except maybe more knowledge.

Thanks for taking the time to talk down to me.

I'll be the first to admit that I need more knowledge, but it wasn't a question of what I needed . . . the question was of the equipment listed, which would be the best investment. I would like to have all of what I listed, but was trying to prioritize based on available budget.

I don't understand why so many people have to cop an attitude on forums. Really, get over yourself.

Honestly, nobody can tell you what you need. That's something you have to answer for yourself. What you need usually presents itself to you repeatedly. You know, when you find yourself saying "darnit, I wish I had xxxxx piece of equipment" repeatedly. Not having a piece of equipment that repeatedly limits you in what you can do, is what you need.

What KmH posted was not attitude. It was blatant honesty.
I don't understand why so many people cop an attitude when they don't get the answer they want to hear. If you want candy coating, get some M&M's.

It is truth that it is hard for others to pick something for you since it is a personal choice. And different people have different priorities. Hope you understand.

Nikon D80
50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
a couple of backdrops
Elements 7.0

SB-600
Upgrade to CS4
Lightroom

Thanks!

Ryan

Well it's about what is important to you.

Monitor calibration will help you make sure what is on your screen is what will print either yourself or through a pro lab.

CS4 will let you do more image manipulation but it might have a learning curve.

But if you're not doing serious post processing the above might be a waste of money

Lightroom will help with your workflow.

The other items look like they're nikon flashes?

So I guess the question you need to look at is whether you need to invest in equiptment for the camera or equiptment for post processing / printing...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back