Purple flower

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by qUAntUm k, Feb 19, 2007.

1. qUAntUm k

qUAntUm k TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

Okee, as a learning newbie, and i hope you don't mind, im going to try and anticipate what you might think needs improving with this pic. If i'm right or wrong, please let me know. First, while i managed to capture the little center bulbly thing in focus, i left the patterned and colored petals a little too blurred? Second, maybe the wood pole and other background flower are distracting? Third, the overall pic could be brighter?

It was unplanned, shot indoors through a store window, while warming up from the winter cold outside. I imagine shooting a flower outside in natural light makes a remarkable difference.

Ive tried shooting flowers indoors before, but none have turned out this well.

So, i post it here with the understanding that your brutal honesty will make my next flower pixs even better! What do you think?

;)

Thanks for viewing

2. cedew

cedew TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    1. Rotate

2. Always use the lowest possible iso on static images.

3. Increase exposure.

4. Isolate background more either lower aperture setting, or cheat with photoshop.

5. Give yourself a little more room to work with, don't crop so tight on top.

6. Always use a tripod for static shooting if the situation allows.

Go ahead and shoot some flowers indoors. It's all great practice. Please try anything and everything, you will quickly learn what works, and what doesn't. Set up a flower/plant on your table, take the photo again, and post back ok? Keep at it until you're happy with the outcome.

3. qUAntUm k

qUAntUm k TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like guidelines. They really help the learning curve. These look like guidelines!:D Thanks so much, cedew, for sharing your experience. I'd like to ask you a few questions so that i can better understand what effect your guidelines are are supposed to produce.

What difference would a lower iso have made to this shot?

Is the increase in exposure to make the picture brighter? Or to compensate for the lower iso? Or both?

Im not sure what you mean by "isolate" the background? A lower aperature means less zoom? Aperature and zoom seem to be one and the same on my camera.

Thanks again!

4. qUAntUm k

qUAntUm k TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    One more question.

By rotate, do you mean 90 degrees, or just a little so the lower petals are parallel with the border?

Thanks!

I'm learning, i'm learning:D

5. cedew

cedew TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No worries quantum, ask any and all questions, that's how we learn!

A lower iso will give your images less noise.

Increase exposure because the image is a little dark.

Isolate the background by blurring it. Either lower your aperture setting number, or use photoshop. You can also try to stand further away, and then zoom as that will also help give the blurry effect in the background.

By rotate, I just mean that it needs to be tilted a few degrees counter-clockwise.

But really use a tripod for these, it will help sharpen the image up a bit.

What camera are we using for these?

6. qUAntUm k

qUAntUm k TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks cedew

I am now using a lower iso. I made a change in the setting today. I was using the highest iso because it seemed easier to shoot in the low light. I can't see noise yet. Don't know what it looks like. I haven't developed the critical eye. But, i want to take excellent photos. So, lower iso it is. Since I don't have a tripod, i am improvising where possible, by resting the camera on something steady.

I like the "isolation" blurring effect when i can get. I will practice some more, trying with the zoom from a distance as you suggest.

Im using a sony 4mp p+s dcs-90.

7. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    One thing is for sure: you have detected a really nice flower here that you mean to photograph through the window (and do I understand things right: you were outside the shop in the street, the flowers were in the shop in tungsten or incandescent light, and you took the photo through the window?). Kudos to the window cleaner, first of all.

Noise are the tiny tiny spots all over your photo, in film language the same thing is called grain. This happens when you use a high iso film as well as when you set your camera to high ISO numbers.

Small p&s cameras have iso settings from ... well, mine has them from 50 up to 400 ... don't know about yours ... but don't really deal well with higher ISO settings.

Therefore: investing in a tripod could be the thing for you. Then you can allow the camera to expose for a long time, as long as you need, and produce sharper images.

And you have to watch the light situation in the area into which you shoot: if you are outside but capture light from somewhere inside, you will have to adapt your white balance to that situation. You may be outdoors but will need to put the camera on incandescent or tungsten light to get better colours. Here you got quite a yellow cast from a wrong white balance.

8. qUAntUm k

qUAntUm k TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi LaFoto,

I was standing inside a hotel lobby hallway (warming up from the cold, it was soooooooo cold) when i found a shop which was closed, but had some flowers positioned near its front window. So, i shot the flower through the store glass window (give that window cleaner a raise:lol:) using the store/hotel lobby lights. Im sure I set the white balance to automatic, becuase i dont know when to use it. For future, I will be more aware of the kind of lighting at play.

I'll have a look at tripods prices around here, since they seem to be an essential component to fine photography.

Hey, after your description I think i can now see the noise! I see what looks like tiny flecks of white dust, especially prominent around the rim of the top petal. Is that noise? Yay! I may have developed some much needed critical eye.

Thanks again LaFoto for sharing your knowledge and experience.

9. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Beautiful shot.
    Yes, rotate. Bump up the Saturation. Burn the edges. Great photo.