Purposeful Blur / Camera shake

malweth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.malweth.net
Since there was another "blur" post in here...

I went on a cruise recently, and had a hard time in the low light of sunrise (especially since it's the rainy season)... I took some experimental photos made with longer exposure and turning the camera back and forth... does it work? Does the lighthouse (showing up as a short line of light) detract from the effect?

Thanks!

pretty blue colors... umm... so if i am to follow the light in the center correctly, you moved it slightly right, then left, then slightly right again, all on an ascending pattern?

maybe i just don't understand the purpose of moving the camera back and forth on purpose? there doesn't seem to be much else to focus on in the picture other then the zigzag line of light (which i like) am i looking at waves in the dark areas of the water?

The camera was moved left and right, the ship moved up and down. It's indeed water below and clouds above. Land and lighthouse light in-between.

The purpose was that, in low light like this, it's not possible to have a fast shutter speed (noise limits me to ISO 400 on the D50). I liked the scene, but I couldn't have a steady shot on board the ship. So I tried something new. I just wanted to see what people thought of it.

oOooOooo.... i get it... i didn't account for the boat moving

i have a question though, even though it's lower light, and you'd need a slightly longer shutter, couldn't you just focus on the light house and pan a bit? or it's just not really possible? mind you i haven't had the opportunity to shoot from a boat to know myself.

I take it as a very interesting study of blues, and I like it. Actually, I thing the lying-s shaped light of the lighthouse adds to the photo.
Good idea for an otherwise un-capturable situation :D.
Everything becomes very, very soft. Just the colours count.

I like the shot. The colour has no separation of tones. Try converting to cmyk and taking out from the cyan channel and adding to the magenta, yellow and black channels. Then convert back to rgb.

This blue is the actual color seen. There were no white balance issues.

This picture was taken at 5:56. An earlier picture taken of the eastern sky (rather than the northern):

This was taken at 5:47.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back