Pushing race car.

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have received a honorable mention at the photography club. Some say it is just a snapshot. So, what do you think?

_MG_8646.jpg

Nice car. May be pull back the highlights and push up the shadows.

I agree it's an honorable mention snap shot.
Lighting, lighting, lighting.
See the light.
Be the light.
You often have to make light.

If you had had a speedlight on the camera you could have used it for fill.
Pros often use supplemental light during the day.

I agree it's an honorable mention snap shot.
Lighting, lighting, lighting.
See the light.
Be the light.
You often have to make light.

If you had had a speedlight on the camera you could have used it for fill.
Pros often use supplemental light during the day.

My concern is other photographers don't use flash. I don't know when is appropriated to use flash without disturbing them. Beside, I did received a very good comment from a professional photographer/judge. :allteeth:

It is a shot that would work with others if you were doing a photo essay, on it's own there really isn't much too it. As far as the use of a flash goes, I'm not a fan of using a flash, but a lot of race car shooters do use them, in this case it would have helped the image.

My concern is other photographers don't use flash. I don't know when is appropriated to use flash without disturbing them. Beside, I did received a very good comment from a professional photographer/judge. :allteeth:

Don't base your choice of options on what others do. We do not know how good the other photographers' photos are. You won't "disturb" them unless they are using an optical trigger to fire a remote flash. Then again, they don't use flash.

This shot got high marks for being a fairly well composed shot, and one that "tells a story". The deep shadow on the near side of the car is distracting and the shot would be so much better with some fill light.

Last edited:
After having looked at the image a second time I concur with the opinions here that flash would have helped with regards to the shadows.

Can't say that I've ever seen a Corvette racer like that before. I'm used to the LeMans racers which are basically a stock bodied car with a front splitter, rear diffuser, and massive rear wing. What series was this car racing in?

i like the shot, it captures that moment well, i would sweeten it in post, to add a bit more pop. The shot is framed well, the colors are good, facial expressions are good, focus is good. I understand why you received the complements. I provided an edit, just to give another perspective on it. It's darkened up in some areas and pops in others, what say u?

Attachments

• _MG_8646x.jpg
    _MG_8646x.jpg
    633.1 KB · Views: 147
I'm just gonna put this out there.

What would fill flash have actually done for this picture? Yes, it would have flattened out the tonal range some by opening up the shadows. I understand the technical details.

What would it have done though? Why would the resulting picture be better? Would it somehow tell the story better? Would be a more realistic, detailed, honest, whatever, rendering of the story or the scene?

agreed. fill flash is nice in a lot of scenarios, but not a necessity in all situations. I like the shot as is, minus contrast, saturation, etc, though, this could be regarded as standard post.

Most reactions

Back