Put lens hoods on your lenses or filters or SOMETHING

Chewbecca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was walking my son to school today, snapping shots as usual.
There was a wet pile of leaves on the ground that was hiding a rise in the sidewalk.
I TRIPPED and BAM! right onto my 85mm f1.8 lens and my D300.
And get this: The lens is not even MINE. I borrowed it from a friend.

I yelped, and my son was like, "OHMYGOD, MOMMY, are you ok???"
And I said I was fine, but my camera might not be.
It was. Then I realized...the lens and my left knee and hand took the brunt of the fall.

What saved it?

The freakin' lens hood!
It would have been a GONER if not for that lens hood.
Granted, I had to demount and remount the lens to make sure it would still do that, and I shot several pictures with it to make sure it was still functioning ok, but it's ALL good.

The lens hood?
Dented to hell and chipped.

So, instead of paying almost $500 to replace a lens, I am spending a little over $30 from B&H for a new lens hood.

THANK GOD.

Put lens hoods or filters on your lenses, folks. It CAN, and most likely will at some point, happen to you.

Yep - whilst filters is always debatable - lenshoods should always be on your lens! I can't count the number of times I have just moved a "little" closer to something only to have the hood hit something in the way - its a real saver!

The filter is always debated and there is no answer save that if you do decide to use them then use an expensive (good) one

agreed!
i have UV filter for both lenses, and they never come off (well i guess if i get vignetting when i add the CP ill just swap the UP for the CP)

glad the lens survived!
and hopefully your knee! ;)

im still trying to find a place that sells lens hoods locally..best buy doesnt, ritz camera surprisingly doesnt..i guess ill order online.

yikes! Thank the goddess for the lens hood.
So... are you going to tell your friend what happened?? :p

I TRIPPED and BAM! right onto my 85mm f1.8 lens and my D300.
And get this: The lens is not even MINE.

When I read this, my stomach churned a little. All the more reason to buy....

CAMERA ARMOR ! ;)

Camera%20Armor%20280.jpg

it's that exact fear that i got the armor for my D40...4 days later...took it off.

it made the aperature button difficult to prewss without changing the grip...tried carving the armor up to suit me....just didnt work out.

the cam sure was beefy with it though!...i liked the feel a LOT. :D

I'm considering stopping using UV filters - I forgot to take mine off on the first half of a night shoot yesterday, and have been left with loads of nasty light spots on what would have been some nice shots!

My knee is tore up.
And I got a hole in my new jeans, but, whatever. The lens is still ALIVE!
THAT is what matters!:mrgreen:

My knee is tore up.
And I got a hole in my new jeans, but, whatever. The lens is still ALIVE!
THAT is what matters!:mrgreen:

LoL, yeah. What is a knee anyways? You have a spare. Now the lens... oh no... dont hurt that :p

When I read this, my stomach churned a little. All the more reason to buy....

CAMERA ARMOR ! ;)

I had armor on my 30D for a while -- got sick of it and took it off. Fortunately I bought it used and didn't pay full price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back