Putting photos to use

Also getting noticed is not always about the internet (Did I say that?) There can be lots of opportunities locally. Not photography but still a good example; Those at my workplace know I am shall we say computer literate. So when a guy at work needed some websites for his home based business he asked me. I got two well paying jobs from him as well as a lot of free advertising whenever customers asked him about his site.

The folks at home can sometimes be a big help getting you noticed via word of mouth advertising.

Yeah, nearly everyone takes pictures in my family.. Older sister (my camera), little sister (moms camera), Mom, Brother, Me.. only one who doesnt is my dad (he doesnt have a camera).. my mom and sister say that i am the best photographer in the family..

abraxas - Yeah, i know what you mean "it could come in handy some day".. I love learning things that are useful, and i learn fast.. (4.0157 gpa without advanced courses in my school).. but yeah, all my friends say that im the best photographer and family but yeah.. i get what your saying

... i get what your saying

I sort of figured that. A few notes on collection building without getting too "mentor-like;"

1) Make lots of notes, organize and refer to/read them.

2) Verify identifications by several sources (cite your sources).

3) Sustained effort and discipline do wonders over the years.

-oh, oh- Gotta run, the dogs got out....

I sort of figured that. A few notes on collection building without getting too "mentor-like;"

1) Make lots of notes, organize and refer to/read them.

Mentor like? Bleh, thats fine, a mentor would be great for me *hint-hint*

Making notes.. What do you mean, make notes as in what?

UPDATE:

I just got a letter back from the first magazine I sent a letter to asking if their intrested and the assistant editor would foward my email to the editor and if shes intrested she'll contact me..

Is there any tips for what its like when or (hopefully) if I get contacted by saying stuff.. What im trying to say is, what is it going to be like if she is intrested, do I show her a few of my pictures, do I send her my flickr url.. Any tips??

-Jess

After chasing the dogs around for 20 minutes or so I thought of something that could you might want to try. Around here most real estate brokers are terrible photographers- God bless 'em. Maybe community shots or scenic shots of the country for brochures and web sites. Even if you get $5-10 per shot, you're getting in and talking to people. Just a thought.

gottago, got a problem here...

Mentor like? Bleh, thats fine, a mentor would be great for me *hint-hint*

Making notes.. What do you mean, make notes as in what?

UPDATE:

I just got a letter back from the first magazine I sent a letter to asking if their intrested and the assistant editor would foward my email to the editor and if shes intrested she'll contact me..

Is there any tips for what its like when or (hopefully) if I get contacted by saying stuff.. What im trying to say is, what is it going to be like if she is intrested, do I show her a few of my pictures, do I send her my flickr url.. Any tips??

-Jess

Sure, always have your flickr (or whatever) looking its best. It doesn't hurt to have a half dozen of your best shots printed out to show if you walk into broker offices and try to promote your work that way.

By notes, I mean, and this is a very interest specific example;

My interest is in local environmental element documentation. Over the last gob of years I've snapped probably 100 or so photos of Sauromalus ater, chuckwalla lizard. I write little notes on things I've read and heard through the years and use the notes to add to the mildly boring habitat requirements and life history accounts I edit/assemble to go with my photos.

320-chuckwalla-5014.jpg

& a draft of some of the notes to go with it:

They are big and they look mean, but Chuckwallas (Sauromalus ater) are harmless herbivores feeding on desert flowers, fruits and leaves. Young chuckwallas are known to try a grasshopper or two, but usually stick entirely to plants by the time they are a year old. Chuckwallas get all their water from the plants they eat and never drink, even when water is readily available. Instead of urination to void their body of salts, these wastes pass through and build in their nostrils as crust which breaks up and falls out when the reptile exhales. They are adept at living in rocky areas under 4,000 feet elevation. As well as dodging into cracks of the rocks in which they live when threatened, they inflate themselves with air making it nearly impossible to remove them by brute strength.

My notes go on much further, but for the purpose of the current use the above is adequate. Just something to spice up an official account and give some explanation to a photo. As a stand alone photo it's fine. With the notes it's a little more interesting, and in a collection of several thousand likewise and related pages, well, it's all pretty big. :)

I suppose what I'm saying is don't sweat making things pay right off the top. It's fine/great if you can, but develop your crafts with an eye toward the future, find what you are interested in and pursue it. Document your efforts.

Gottarun, I hear tires screeching...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back