pyrocumulus

wxnut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dougraflikphotography.com
DNR was burning off some marsh land here in Wisconsin today and it caused some pyrocumulus to form. In the first 2 pics you can see some pileus caps as well.

pyrocumulus1s.jpg

pyrocumulus2s.jpg

pyrocumulus3s.jpg

Doug Raflik
[email protected]
http://www.wxnut.net

So first it's smoke and then it really become clouds?
I was wondering what pyrocumuli could be, until I read your introduction and saw the photos. Very interesting sight. Is it the sun that makes it go white on top or does the smoke really transform? How could it?
And how come you know so much about clouds, so you can even name the caps "pileus caps"? And what kind of air layer must be above this new cloud for pileus caps to form?

Awsome capture! I love anything to do with the sky, meterology, atmoshereic optics, astronomy, you name it. I always enjoys pics like these. your post also reminds me that I got a few shots of some pileus caps myself the other day, I will have to post them later.

laFoto clouds are just water vapor condensed on suspended dust particles, the smoke provides plenty of particulate and the updraft from the fire can fuel the cloud formation as well. If conditions are right pyro-thuderstorms can even form.

Wow, those are truly some of the most beautiful photographs I have ever seen. There are too many fantastic shots to name but the one with the tornado and and rainbow in the same shot is one of my favorites as is the lightning shot with the stars visible :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back