Q: Engagement/Bridal posing

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted this in the business section first, but after 2 days, it has been viewed very little and no responses. Thought I'd post here as a last ditch effort for feedback. Mods feel free to delete if it's a big issue...

Hello all. Some of you may remember a few months ago, I was asking about ideas for a wedding I had coming up where the B/G are both involved heavily in Civil War re-enactments. The Wedding is next Saturday 10/27. This Saturday 10/20, we are planning on doing their engagement and bridal pics. They wanted to wait for some fall foliage for their engagement pics and the bride is making her own dress, thus we are down to the wire getting her dress done, and therefore, also the bridal shots.

I was posting for some pose ideas if anyone had any. The engagement pics will be in regular attire. They live on a farm however, and wanted kind of a country theme (hay bales, tractor, etc) included in the pics for props/background. I had a couple of ideas that they were into. One was trying to replicate a shot I saw in the pro section a few months back of shooting the couple through a wine glass (they also make their own wine) and I showed the bride and she was excited about that. I also had an idea of perhaps an "American Gothic" re-creation since they are a little different anyway, and want something different. Any other ideas? I've seen many excellent, good, bad and ugly engagement pics around the net from pros, and I never really think "this really says engagement to me". Not sure what it is, it seems they always fall a little short.

I'm also open to ideas for bridal shots. She wanted to shoot these at her parents house, which is apparently a big country plantation type home. What exactly is the purpose of bridal shots? I mean I get the general idea of trying to capture stunning shots of the bride, but what else? It seems that most of the pics I see are really a showcase for photographing the dress. Anyone shed more light on this? Any ideas for posing? I will try to replicate the usual stuff I see of shooting her from behind standing in front of an open door and window, etc. but other than that? She will be wearing her Civil War dress of course. I thought maybe also one w/ her covering part of her face with one of those paper fans sitting in a victorian type chair looking all coy. Any ideas are appreciated.

I think you are on the right track. Look at photos that you like, find some magazines and look for poses that you like...tear them out if you need to. Ask the bride to do the same.

Build up a collection of shots/poses that you would like to try. Then when the time comes, just pull those out and use them as a guide. It may not be the most professional looking thing...but it's a learning process. Once you shoot the same poses a few times, you won't need the sheets anymore.

Honestly, cheapest way to learn, pick up a bridal magazine - inside they are splattered with posing to bring out better figures, display the dress etc. The cheapest resource you may ever come across.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back