q's about D90 as upgrade

rabhobbes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccabrittain.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, I've researched all I can here and elsewhere, and my head is spinning.
My situation, what I'm thinking of, feedback needed before I buy!

What I have now:

Nikon D50 with 18-55 kit lens, 55-200, and 1.8 50 mm lenses

Reasons I'm looking at another camera:

1. Getting busier, need a backup body anyway

2. Need ability to comfortably enlarge to 16x20 from a cropped area of
image. I shoot animals, so the best shot is sometimes from a cropped
area. It's a little iffy now with my D50 6.1 mp. Full frame prints from
my 1.8 lens look good, but I don't always shoot with that now.

3. Would like better (less) noise in prints...I shoot at iso 200 in studio, and still see funky noise in some areas of my enlargements. Even with PS.

What I'm looking at:

My budget is $1300 or less...

D90, body only, with Nikon AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF zoom lens.
( I read tons of reviews on this lens, most were great, but a few said it was just "ok". )

If not this lens, what other lens for portraiture/small family groups is a good choice, (and not $700)? I read conflicting reviews everywhere.

My intent is to keep the 1.8 50 mm lens, get a new lens (as above), and sell my 18-55 kit lens and 55-200 zoom lens ( I know they won't go for much, but...)

Questions:
Is the kit lens for the D90 any better than my D60 kit lens? If so I would consider getting the d90 kit.

Thoughts?

bump...

and another thought...
how does the 18-105 lens compare to the more expensive 16-85? Enough of a difference that I would wish I had it instead of the 18-105?

Thanks

personally i wouldn't be looking at any of those lenses. they are "ok" as some have put it.
stay away from the kits as you already have nikons best kit lenses. the 18-55 and 55-200.

get the D90 body and possibly something like the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro HSM.

Thanks for the suggestions and the reading!
I also need faster focusing ability, not sure if the body upgrade will help with that, or if it's all in the lens, or what. That is also confusing my lens research.

I guess the question I'm at now, after reading about all these different possibilities, is will the fact that I'm upgrading to the D90, and if I pair it with the 18-105, will that in itself give me the better results I'm after (that I outlined in my original post) without spending the extra $$ on a separate lens(?)

Just buy the D90 body only. Use it with the same lenses you currently have and go with it from there.

Looking back on my purchase, I would have gone with the D90, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8.

Thanks for the suggestions and the reading!
I also need faster focusing ability, not sure if the body upgrade will help with that, or if it's all in the lens, or what. That is also confusing my lens research.

I guess the question I'm at now, after reading about all these different possibilities, is will the fact that I'm upgrading to the D90, and if I pair it with the 18-105, will that in itself give me the better results I'm after (that I outlined in my original post) without spending the extra $$ on a separate lens(?)

the D90 will give you more megapixel and better noise control especially in high ISO. as well as higher ISO capabilities.

is the 55-200mm you currently have the VR model? if so you should keep that. no Nikon photographer should be without the 55-200mm VR in their arsenal.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back