Q's about lenses and wedding photos

LCARSx32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lcarsx32.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently have the standard 18-55mm lens that comes with the Canon 300D kit. My aunt has asked me to do photos at her wedding in a few months. Is this lens adequate for portrait style wedding photos? I'd rather have something in the 200mm range for the dancing pictures (I want them to look natural), but may not be able to afford one in time.

So, my main question: What type of lens would be best for portraits.

I just hope I can pull the pictures off. I've learned a lot in the last year or so, but weddings present unique problems that I don't have much experience with (mainly lighting).

Any tips for wedding photos would be appreciated too. She can't afford a professional photographer, so there's no way I could turn her down.

Thanks,
Ray

Your gear will be really limiting :\ You might catch some heck in following posts, and possibly some great advice.

I currently have the standard 18-55mm lens that comes with the Canon 300D kit. My aunt has asked me to do photos at her wedding in a few months. Is this lens adequate for portrait style wedding photos? I'd rather have something in the 200mm range for the dancing pictures (I want them to look natural), but may not be able to afford one in time.

So, my main question: What type of lens would be best for portraits.

I just hope I can pull the pictures off. I've learned a lot in the last year or so, but weddings present unique problems that I don't have much experience with (mainly lighting).

Any tips for wedding photos would be appreciated too. She can't afford a professional photographer, so there's no way I could turn her down.

Thanks,
Ray
Every photograph you've ever made involved lighting. Are you saying you haven't been paying attention, all this time? ;)

If the wedding is indoors, you will have to turn up the ISO to get enough shutter speedto stop motion and camera shake. With your camera, that means the photos will have a lot of color noise.

Color noise is better than blurry and can be mitigated in post processing though it will made the photos look soft.

If the wedding is outside in daylight or shade you'll be ok equipment wise.

You can rent gear but you need to practice with it before the wedding so you would really need to rent twice.

www.lensrentals.com
www.LensProToGo.com

Last edited:
I would look in to renting, I would get a 24-70 f2.8L and a 70-200 f2.8L or a 16-35 f2.8L as well as a 580 EX flash. Your camera is going to be limited in low light so indoors is not going to be your friend. If the hall is small you will not need the reach of the 200mm.

You also might want to look in to buying the niftey fiftey.

If you can get your hands on this stuff and a back up body you should be able to put together a nice package for your aunt. You can also get some prints done and make an album as a wdding presant ;).

There is a camera rental shop close to you and the prices dont seem to bad, Schiller's Rentals SLR Cameras, St. Louis, MO

I wish somewhere around me rented lenses! I live near the second biggest city in Michigan and no one rents lenses!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back