Quality lenses?

Reefbabe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I bought a kit that included these lenses. Can anyone tell me if they are decent or possibley crap...please be honest. I love gritting my teeth when it's something that I don't want to hear.....no really, I do like it!
Nikon 28-100 F/3.5-5.6 G AF Nikkor Zoom
Focal Length: 28mm to 100mm
Maximum Aperture: f/3.5-5.6
Lens Construction: 8 elements in 6 groups
Max. Reproduction Ratio : 1/4.8 (X 0.21)
Aperture: f/3.5-f/22 (at 28mm)
Attachment/Filter size: 62mm
Dimensions: Approx. 2.7 in. diameter x 3.1 in.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Lens
Filter Size 58mm
f/Stop Range 4-22 / 5.6-32
Minimum Focus Distance 5' (3.1' in macro mode at 300mm)
Magnification 1:2 (in macro mode at 300mm)
Zoom/Focus Control Two-touch
Angle of View 34.3 to 8.2 Degrees
Groups/Elements 10/14
Length 4.8" (122mm)
Maximum Diameter 3" (77mm)

Titanium .45x Wide Angle Lens
Power: 0.45x time conversion factor of your current lens setting plus a Macro mode.
Optical System: Conversion type; mounts on front of existing lens.
Mounting System: Screw type in front of existing camera lens into the filter accessory threads.
Optics: Designed to maximize use day and night with coated optics to provide maximum image transmission with minimum distortion.
Auto Focus: Utilizes camera auto focus system.
Adaptability: Maintains all the camera functions plus it provides 0.45X wide angle lens conversion power.
Macro: The Macro mode is accomplished by unscrewing the front lens assembly and using the section labeled Macro with your existing camera lens.

[/FONT]

OMG......for all those who need big font, lol! Whoops, didn't mean to post it that big!

Definitely not top of the line stuff...but like Don said, you get what you pay for.

I don't know about the wide angle adapter...that's just an add-on, and those are so-so at best.

I'm surprised you didn't get the usual D50 kit lens...what is it 18-50? With the crop factor on that camera, I would want a wide lens.

Also, you don't have a 'fast' lens. (something with a wide max. aperture). I suggest a 50mm F1.8 because it will be cheap and optically better than those zoom lenses.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think that both the lenses are good for film or digital Nikon cameras. The adaptor will work on anything becuase it's just an adapter.

There is nothing wrong, per say, with your lenses. Try them out, you have a good range covered 28 all the way to 300.

After shooting for a while...you will have a better idea of what you need/want to get next. I still suggest a 50mm F1.8

I wanted a larger aperture and didn't realize that until it was too late. Grrrrrrr....that's okay, like you said Mike, in the future I can upgrade to what I want. So....do you think that I got the money's worth? Yea or Nay

You could've done a lot worse!

It's not a bad kit to start learning and playing around with. There are better lenses, but they cost more than your camera.

So learn technique, light, composition, posing, post processing, metering, printing...

keep yourself challenged and don't think of getting other lenses just yet.

Cool.....I WILL do that. Thanks for the encouragement! It makes me feel good that I could have done worse, lol!

Do you also have that tripod that is in the picture?

If so be careful. I think i have the same one and it is possibly the worse tripod ever made. It's got some really cheap plastic joints and fittings which shatter when you try and tighten them, it can barely hold the weight of my camera, plus a load of other problems.

mine has gone in the bin

Grrrrrrrrr......let's hope not! Also, I think I read that filters are uneccessary for digitals because they have they're own WB adjustment? What about when taking pics of the ocean or something with alot of glare?

Well at least that gives me a little more hope. I'll be asking which situations are proper and which are not. In fact, I'm sure I'll have TONS of questions. Thanks guys for all your swift (and honest) replies!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back