quality loss!

newrmdmike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey guy's can anyone help me with this? I've complained tons about picturetrail already . . . and know that i need to change to someone else but i havn't yet.

i have noticed large sharpness loss, artifacts, lost color brilliance, etc. when everyone else is posting stuff are they saving it to web color or what?

look below and see how my browser see's my photos online, versus microsofts picture and fax viewer. even though the color in microsofts viewer are a little off from photoshop, its nearly as bad as the change in the uploaded image.

does this have somthing to do with needing to save to web? or is it soley picturetrail?

anyways, here is the pic

212641580.jpg

this is upsetting, because even in the pic i'm showing you the color on my monitor is much better.

unless i can figure this out pretend my pics are all a little sharper, and have better color.

or is that just from being a jpg? has anyone else experienced this?

i have no idea what picturetrail is .... but when i save a jpeg i usually control the compression and never go below 95 % quality.

i never click on any save for web button or such in any software which does not tell me what it is doing then.

another thing is, that viewers can do horrible things to what you see on the screen. often images are better that what vievers display.

i always use xnview .. but that gives you pixel-rasters when a large image is scaled down for display...

What color space are you working in with Photoshop? If you are using a wide space like Adobe RGB, you will notice a huge change in color and contrast when you view in other programs, which use sRGB. You should convert before saving. In CS and CS2 this is handled already. You should just save for web.

alex, picturetrail is just an image host. i upload my pics to them. its like flickr or any of those other free ones.

matt.
i'm shooting to adobe rgb 1998. the working profile (i don't know what exactly that is) is srgb.

the big difference is viewing in my browser. the image i posted in here is that along side microsoft image viewer, which is alot closer to what i see in cs2

theres two colour profile menus in ps.... the other day for no reason i can think of one of, my settings changed and the colour in photobucket was nothing like that of my image.... so its worth checking them....

In ps under the edit menu there is 'Assign profile'.... and 'convert to profile'... try changing the 'convert to profile' to working RGB...

Instead of the 'save for web' option i just change the image size to roughly 700x470 ish... then just 'save as' jpeg.... i only usually take the compression down a notch...

Cant think what else it would be (aside form your image host) but your image should pretty much look as it does in ps or windows viewer thats for sure.

thanks, i'll try that. ugh, color managment is a biotch. i've finally got it matched perfect with my printshop, and now i'm having issues with picturetrail.

update on issue:

some of the artifacting is because i'm not saving my images to the exact resolution of what picturetrail is using, so that jacks up the file, which i knew but didn't think it would be responsible for all that. . . and its not

somthing i noticed was that the images i have problems getting good color reproduction with online were all shot raw. the good ones were shot jpg. this may be responsible for the color difference because with jpg the image is saved to the srgb color profile (or whatever your camera uses, or whichever one from your camera that you selected) . . . and after looking at my jpg's that were converted from raws i see that the color profile is rgb mode!

so that may be the only issue, i need to make sure it saves to rgb

Most reactions

New Topics

Back