Quality of lense and image

alexblackwelder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys! I've had my DSLR for a while now. It took me a bit to explore the realm of digital photography because I use to be a film purist. I am NEVER satisfied by my digital shots compared to my film shots. I have a pretty nice camera (Canon 30D) so I assumed the quality of shots wouldn't be horrible. By horrible I mean that my shots look the same as a cheap point and shoot camera (minus the DOF).

With my film camera, I never really explored different lenses because the one it came with was sufficient. I use an old hunky Canon AE1 but I love it. I've been reading a lot on digital lenses, and I'm beginning to think my problem with my DSRL is because of my cheap lense.

This is what I use:

http://www.camcor.com/cgi-bin/cat/id=1126214154&src=fg

So my question is, do you think that my poor lense could affect my shots THAT much? Will I see a difference if I upgrade? Is it worth it?

Thanks so much! :)

-Alex

Hi!

I carry a couple of Sigma lenses as well as Tamron and Pentax. Although I use the Pentax 18-55, my main Sigma is 55-200 and I love it. Perhaps not "top of the line," Sigma seems to be generally good to very good quality and perhaps you just got a bad lens.

A photog buddy of mine picked up a high end Canon lens a few weeks ago and ended up taking it back within a few days because of problems with focus and dust.

Good luck!

Hi,

I read many reviews etc recently when looking for a replacement for my kit lens & to be honest the Sigma 18-50 didn't really do too well.

I actually purchased the Sigma 17-70 instead & have to say I'm extremely impressed, massive difference over the kit lens, contrast & sharpness are excellent. Without a doubt a poor lens makes ALL the difference

simon

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_1850_3556_nikon/index.htm It's an all right lens unless you shoot at 18mm and wide open. At f/8 it's very sharp. Maybe the lens isn't the only thing at fault. Digital takes getting used to. Are you post-processing your images? Remember when shooting film the lab's computers normally has a jolly good play with all sorts of variables. This is something you need to do yourself now with a digital camera.

do you print your images or do you look at them on the screen?

pixel peeping on the screen makes most images look bad ...

Make sure you are post-processing and buy a better lens. A lot of the time the lens on your camera is worth more than the body.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back