Quality of studio flash?

USM IS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So lurking here, I gather ProFoto is the best, and Alien Bees is down on the list. So where would one rate a Photogenic 2500DR?......Mike

Profoto and Hensel.

Jeez, do all us Iowa shooters have Bald Eagles as our avatar?

Photogenic would rank somewhere between Profoto and Alien Bees...

Profoto and Hensel.

Jeez, do all us Iowa shooters have Bald Eagles as our avatar?

Only the good ones....:lol:..:lmao:...Mike

I am planning to get a high quality pixels photos. What particular device should I need?

Need an advise.

So lurking here, I gather ProFoto is the best, and Alien Bees is down on the list. So where would one rate a Photogenic 2500DR?......Mike
Depends,

define best. I prefer Broncolor myself. But, I was a commercial/product photographer in the Northeast years ago and they were the predominant system for rental. I have no need for 1/10 of a stop adjustment, or most of the other "features" offered on contemporary strobe packs. My older Bron equipment does just fine for my work.

I have had excellent results with Bron, Elinchrom, White Lightining, as well as others, it becomes more an issue of your needs than "best".

Where does Elinchrom fall into the mix? I thought they were right up there Profoto. I know Profoto is more expensive, but I hear from more pros who are raving about Elinchrom Rangers, Quadras and Octabanks than anything else.

I believe that any gear will do, as long as you are aware of what it can and can't do :) And how to work around the limitations :D

Not familiar with Photogenic stuff though, all I remember is seeing them in a camera store in Calgary one day and hearing that they used to be a big brand in the late 80s :) Maybe you can try renting it to see if it suits your needs?

I do enjoy shooting with bowens ;-), profoto, elinchrome and broncolor (if not just for how cool they look ;-))...but then again, I'll shoot with anything that is available :)

Where does Elinchrom fall into the mix? I thought they were right up there Profoto. I know Profoto is more expensive, but I hear from more pros who are raving about Elinchrom Rangers, Quadras and Octabanks than anything else.

For a long time, I always placed Elinchrom in the middle of the professional flash category, sort of like White Lightning; a moderately complete system, without the huge range of modifiers of the "top" systems, and not as powerful as the top systems, but quite serviceable for the needs of many people. Things have changed dramatically for Elinchrom however, with their introduction of the Ranger/Quadra line of portable flash products.

The portable studio flash concept is an area not that many companies are involved in. Profoto,Speedotron,and Elinchrom all have powerful batteries that can power basically what are basically studio-power output level flash units that are more powerful than the older Norman and Lumedyne location lighting systems. The new Elinchrom Ranger systems have hit a really sweet spot in terms of size, price, and power, so their newest product category has really,really "floated their boat". Before they developed their portable Ranger system, Elinchrom was not nearly as visible in the USA as they are now.

Most reactions

Back