Quantaray lenses???

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Dylan, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Dylan

Dylan TPF Noob!

I have a opportunity to purchase a Sigma (?) Quantaray lens from Fred Miranda for 100.00. I've heard a lot of things about the Quantaray lenses (good and bad). According to the seller it's in pretty good condition. Since I'm working with a limited budget this is about all I can afford right now. Opinions anyone? Thanks

2. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

I have no experience with Quantary and a little with Sigma. I'll provide some guidelines for you. Normally, these "off brand" lenses are fine optically and usually not as rugged as the "camera brand" lenses. I would have no compuction about using them in a studio but I might be worried about taking them on a wildlife shoot in the wilderness.

I have a Sigma 10-20mm zoom for the Nikon D50 and it is pretty comparable optically to my Nikon 12-24 except that it is slower. It isn't made as well either but it makes perfectly good images.

In the 35mm days I had a Sigma 14mm super wide angle lens and it shared the same characteristics - pretty good optically and built with less precision and strength than my Nikkor lenses.

I wouldn't have any way to judge one brand over another. Hopefully, this big picture response is useful to you.

3. Dylan

Dylan TPF Noob!

Yes that helps very much. Thank you.

4. astrostu

astrostu Guest

I (as you can tell from my signature) have two Quantary lenses, and this was simply because I couldn't afford to spend 3 or more times as much on the name-brand equivalent. I've had no real complaints with my 70-300 mm Quantary, though there's an issue with ghosting when you photograph a very bright object in a very dark setting (such as zooming in on the moon). I really like the 500-1000 mm one, especially considering it was 10% of the price of the name-brand lens.