Quantity is a Quality of its own

As pro I carry around 23 kgs of EOS stuff including 2 cases wirh battery grip and 4 L lenses etc... im my bag wirh me plus the big Gitzo. But when on vacation, I take my Nikon F3 or the F100, some rolls of film 2-3 manual Ais lenses ... and have fun! Film is still alive and getting more important again.
855b0f629750b46808cb51805f8759c6.jpg
b8e4bc7846b3f7fcf0a7cf4240268641.jpg
8e38c24376658ef9a3fc4b5e80011a46.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

The reason I bought a mirrorless was originally for vacations because I was either lugging or leaving behind my Nikon gear. My very loose rule is that if I'm going with my daughter (14) then 99% of the time a vacation = iPhone pics. It's more about the experience than the photos. If I'm with adults or it's someplace that's on my photo bucket list, my camera and 2 lenses. I'll only bring a tripod if I know for sure that I'll be taking night photos. Disney is the exception as it's so photogenic you have to bring your dslr.

On holiday: I take my DSLR and Panasonic TZ80 digital cameras, Bronica ETRs medium format film and a film rangefinder. Got to have something to do while Bestbeloved is birding.

The reason I bought a mirrorless was originally for vacations because I was either lugging or leaving behind my Nikon gear. My very loose rule is that if I'm going with my daughter (14) then 99% of the time a vacation = iPhone pics. It's more about the experience than the photos. If I'm with adults or it's someplace that's on my photo bucket list, my camera and 2 lenses. I'll only bring a tripod if I know for sure that I'll be taking night photos. Disney is the exception as it's so photogenic you have to bring your dslr.
I separate Photo Expeditions from Family Vacations because photography and family vacations do not mix.

As pro I carry around 23 kgs of EOS stuff including 2 cases wirh battery grip and 4 L lenses etc... im my bag wirh me plus the big Gitzo. But when on vacation, I take my Nikon F3 or the F100, some rolls of film 2-3 manual Ais lenses ... and have fun! Film is still alive and getting more important again.
855b0f629750b46808cb51805f8759c6.jpg
b8e4bc7846b3f7fcf0a7cf4240268641.jpg
8e38c24376658ef9a3fc4b5e80011a46.jpg

When I was a working pro, I didn't take a camera with me on vacations. (Unless all your family members are photographers.)

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji106]

Good luck photographing oak alley. Go very early and beat the crowds if possible. When I was there the driveway had 50-70 people in it.

thanks for the tip. I'm staying there a few days, so I have some chances. What I'm really pissed about it the falcon season doesn't start till after we leave. I really wanted to see a falcon up close and get some shots with one...

Good luck photographing oak alley. Go very early and beat the crowds if possible. When I was there the driveway had 50-70 people in it.

thanks for the tip. I'm staying there a few days, so I have some chances. What I'm really pissed about it the falcon season doesn't start till after we leave. I really wanted to see a falcon up close and get some shots with one...

You going to NOLA I assume? I’ve been there twice in the last year. If you have any questions or anything let me know man.

I separate Photo Expeditions from Family Vacations because photography and family vacations do not mix.

Went camping with my girlfriend and tried to sneak in some landscape photography in the evenings.

Did not go over well.

Pro tip: don’t do something that prevents your girlfriend from getting her s’mores and campfire for a night while you’re camping. She gets angry.

no, savannah. That row of oaks in a resort called Sea Island.

Our last big vacation I took the kitchen sink! Actually didn't take everything, but I took a lot. But, we had the room (truck and travel trailer). I took 7 weeks off work and we went out west. Wife had just left a job and she scheduled her new start date for after the vacation.

I think we got in 5 or 6 national parks and a bunch of monuments. I took 2 digital systems (nikon and canon), 35mm film camera, bronica SQ medium format system. 35mm panoramic camera (lab ruined the film, by cutting normal). I did not take my 4x5 large format. But I sure in hell was trying to figure out how too. Even with digital was well over 100 rolls of film used. Shots were deliberate, but even with film not afraid to do 3 frame brackets.

It was a blast. And amazing how short 7 weeks can feel.

Whether it's vacation or just photo outing, I tend to go minimalist. The K1000 is usually my go-to camera for a lot of things, and definitely for traveling. If it requires a plane ride and I want to bring a medium format with me, I'll go lightweight - usually the Lubitel or the Holga. If it's a road trip, I'm more likely to take the Mamiya 645.

If I care about the shot, it's on film. If it's just a "I was here" or "look, a cute kitty!" or "done with this roll and don't feel like reloading because we're on our way back to the hotel", then I just use the phone.

Brought dslr to Jamaica and only used it on the shuttle to and from the resort. Got some good shots with the phone otherwise though. I plan to bring it to Vermont in a few weeks. Should be quiet and slow and we'll likely go to some scenic vistas so should get some use of it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back