Question about a converter for filters

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by bethgor, Jan 12, 2010.

1. bethgor

bethgor TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have 20+ 55mm filters, and I have a Nikon D90, which uses a 67mm filter, is there a way I could use the 55mm filters on the D90, and just sacrifice some of the image size through some cropping? I know it sounds silly, but it is a shame for all my old filters to go to waste.....

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, the D90 doesn't use 67mm filters. The lens on your camera happens to have a 67mm thread diameter. The D90 can use all sorts of lenses, with different filter sizes.

Yes, there is an adapter that you could use. It's called a step-down ring and you would need to get a 67mm to 55mm. And yes, it would likely cause some vignetting on the corners of your photos, especially at shorter focal lengths.

I have a bunch of older, smaller filters as well. But I'm of the belief that most filters are obsolete in the digital world. The effects that most filters provide, can be easily duplicated with software...and to an infinitely adjustable degree...not just filter on or filter off.

I still use circular polarizing filters quite a lot, but I bought bigger ones to fit my larger lenses.