Question about a guanaray lens

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by foto boy, Jun 9, 2005.

1. foto boy

foto boy TPF Noob!

I have found a quantaray f=500mm lens for $200 and it has a place a screw on mount but no mount. What im wanting to know is i can get a screw on mount fot my pentax at my local camera shop? Also is it a good deal? (Its in real good condition)

2. spiralout

spiralout TPF Noob!

Ick! I shudder at the thought of a $200 500mm lens! I'd save my money and go for a Pentax or Sigma on eBay. You'd probably get better results using a 135mm and a 4x teleconverter! Then again, I know nothing of Quantaray, but as a general rule, you get what you pay for.

3. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

I would say that $200 is a bit high for this lens. It is really a no name brand. Most quantaray lenses are made by sigma, but these were not. You had to buy the mount for it. They came in the most popular sizes, pentax k, minolta, nikon, etc. I messed around with them, and at 4X6 shooting 100iso film, it was quite grainy. Brand new these where selling for $199.99.

4. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    $200 aint bad at all for a 500mm lens, I paid £150 for a 75 - 300 lens and thats only f/4.5
    I dunno if you can get mounts...I really dont think you can because of the inner workings...but I wouldnt get quantary, I have a couple of their filters and a bag by them, they arent bad but I wouldnt buy a lens by them, by a dedicated lens to your camera...

5. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

I also forgot to mention it is a set f8 lens. Quantaray is just Ritz Camera's house brand name. They use many different manufacturers for their stuff. I worked there for 4 years.