Question about a Nikon lens...

railman44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just bought a Nikkor 135mm f2.8 AIS (advertised as mint) lens on eBay. Most of my photographs are shot with a 50mm or a wider angle lens or a PC wide angle lens. Is this a good lens? The pics of the lens looked great on eBay and the price was $91 which includes shipping. What do you Nikon folks think?

Yep, it's a good-un. A good price too - well spotted. It's a versatile length (I use a 105 which is very similar) and you'll find it's good for many things in addition to portraiture. I use my Nikkor f1.8 105mm as my "standard" lens. You may like to get a hood for it if you're doing a lot of stuff out-doors in sunny weather.

R

railman44 said:
Just bought a Nikkor 135mm f2.8 AIS ... Is this a good lens?

Shouldn't you have asked that question BEFORE you bought it? ;-)

I have not used it personally, but all of the AIS Nikkor short tele's (85/105/135) have a very good reputation, with the prize for "best in class" going to the 105/2.5. Nothing at all wrong with the 135/2.8, but it is a focal length that has fallen out of favor with many (either too short, or too long), so it is not much in demand these days. Which is good for you, because you were able to get a very well made lens for a very good price.

Enjoy,
Mike

robhesketh said:
<snipped> ... You may like to get a hood for it if you're doing a lot of stuff out-doors in sunny weather.

He has got that covered, as the 135/2.8 AIS has a built in slide-out hood.

mikerfns said:
Shouldn't you have asked that question BEFORE you bought it? ;-)

I have not used it personally, but all of the AIS Nikkor short tele's (85/105/135) have a very good reputation, with the prize for "best in class" going to the 105/2.5. Nothing at all wrong with the 135/2.8, but it is a focal length that has fallen out of favor with many (either too short, or too long), so it is not much in demand these days. Which is good for you, because you were able to get a very well made lens for a very good price.

Enjoy,
Mike

Yep, you're right. I never thought I'd get it. I was really fishin' for a 105mm but saw the 135mm and thought wow, this is really a good deal. I was amazed when the hammer came down I was the winner. Can't wait to put it through its paces...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back