Question about a photo

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by riviera, Aug 27, 2008.

1. riviera

riviera TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi,
    I'm new to photography and I'm about to upgrade my camera. I work in real estate and I want my photos to look like the photo attached. Is it the camera quality, lens or software that makes it look good (compared to most other real estate shots)
    [​IMG]

2. ddm1975

ddm1975 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :lol: Maybe it's just the location that makes it look so good. That place is beautiful. I live in Louisiana, so the real estate shots I see are nothing like those. lol Seriously though, I could probably get a shot like that with my canon P&S and could also get an amazing shot with my 5D. I truly think it is the person behind the camera that captured the beauty of the real estate, so work on composition with whatever you have. But having a program like Photoshop, ect. couldn't hurt to help boost the color and make it look a little better. JMO - HTH's ;)

3. theTKDman

theTKDman TPF Noob!

Well my suggestion would be to start with a decent dslr camera. Most dslr's that you pick up come with a decent lens that would get you similar picture quality. However, if you're going to be doing a lot of interior and architectural shots (as Im sure you will as a realtor), then you're going to want to get a good wide angle lens. A wide angle lens gives you more field of view and therefore can capture all the beauty in the room at once. Look for something 40mm or below. I am extremely new to photography as well so if anyone thinks otherwise please critique my suggestions... lol. Also, a polarizing filter will help to achieve those brilliant blues in the water and sky.

4. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, first and foremost, use links to display copyrighted material used as examples please.

Now on the the question, it's photographic experience that makes the photo look good in comparison to other real estate shots. this I would assume was done by hireing a professional to come in and shoot where as other real estate shots are shot by the real estate associate.

Learn some basic architecture shooting and some basic landscape shooting and your camera will be almost irrelevant.

5. William Petruzzo

William Petruzzo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Absolutely right. I think for any person aspiring to produce great images, they have to understand first that it's not a camera that takes a great picture, it's a person. Just like a great pen doesn't write a better story.

Besides that, high saturation and good composition, I find, usually are responsible for what wow buyers about realestate photos. I'd master the composition and grab and entry level dslr and wide angle zoom lens and you'll have a decent foundation to take the pictures you need.

6. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    IMO, great photos are produced by 3 things; the equipment, the post processing software, and the photographer (in no particular order). I would say to spend a $1k-$1.5k on a decent 10+ mega pixel DSLR, a decent wide angle lens, and a good piece of software such as Photoshop Elements. Many people would also recommend a book such as "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Just remember though. A camera is only as good as its owner so take a lot of time out to research the functions of a DSLR and photography composition.

7. texkid

texkid TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The photographer and timing. I could "probably" take that picture with a my Cybershot and then adjust the colors in MS Picture Manager or PS3.

The following are unedited (except for size). Taken at around "BRUNCH" with a Motorola MPx220 smartphone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am sure with a Cybershot or dSLR, you would get more vivid colors. Remember, timing. When needing natural light, go for morning or afternoon. NEVER high noon. Cause then it'll look like you're in the middle of Nevada. Your customer's will want to see how that sunrise will look when they get out of bed in the morning or how the dining room will look like at sunset, just in time for dinner.

This is what a "high noon" picture will look like in-doors.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008