Question about adding off-camera flash to my kit

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Plex, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Plex

Plex TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've been shooting outdoors for a while now (architecture, cityscapes, etc.) using a Canon 40D with a Speedlite 380EX that I've had forever. The 380EX works fine as a fill flash in E-TTL mode for these kinds of shoots, but lacks manual settings.

I want to expand my horizons a bit and do some indoor studio work (fashion/glamour stuff), and I need to explore some off-camera flash options. From reading the Strobist as well as a lot of posts on this forum, it seems that there are a lot of decent and affordable options, but I have some questions about which is right for me.

Since the 380EX lacks manual settings, will using it on the hot shoe in E-TTL mode and adding off-camera flash result in overexposed images? Should I just bail on the 380EX and pick up a couple of manual flashes to use off-camera? Will the 380EX be useful at all in this type of setup?

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Most wireless, radio OCF triggering systems require a transmitter/tranceiver on the camera hot shoe. If your 380EX is on the hot shoe..........

3. Plex

Plex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I hear you, but say I'm using the 380EX on the hotshoe to trigger an off-camera LumoPro LP160 in optical slave mode. The LP160 can be set to ignore the E-TTL pre-flash, but I'm wondering if the E-TTL metering will fail to account for the off-camera flash and result in an overexposed or otherwise poorly-lit image.

4. Noxire

Noxire TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If your 380ex is compatible with ur 40d (it is right?) you can lower power by lowering flash-exposure in camera so it calculates exposing the image to say a stop lower.
    Just tell me if im not making any sense :)

5. redtippmann

redtippmann TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you dial your on camera flash EV down all the way (Like -3EV) and set the camera in manual mode at around 1/250 and f/5.6 and adjust the LumoPro then it might work better.

But I would just get a set of cactus V4 triggers from mpex.com and get a vivatar 285HV for a off camera strobe and still fire the LumoPro on the optical slave.

6. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Do you have any other little secrets you want to let us in on? :lmao:

7. Plex

Plex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Not sure what was funny about my post, or what "secrets" you're referring to. In any case, I didn't ask about triggering systems. But thanks for your emote response. :confused::hugs::p

Thanks to the posters that suggested adjusting flash in-camera. It's not really an elegant solution, but it might work.