Question About Automotive Photography

Ok just guessing that post processing involved cloning out the mount?
It took me about 20-30 minutes per photo to clone out the rig. I'm better at PS now that I was when I took these shots so I'm guessing I could do all the retouching in about half the time now.

Those look really nice. I'd love to see the plans for that rig.

I didn't draw up any plans. It's just a simple design with a spar to help minimize the flex. The basic parts all came from Home Depot and the suction cups came from another company who's name I've forgotten. Google "industrial suction cups" and you'll find plenty.

nice. i've seen a couple rigs used for these types of automobile shots, but I did not know these can be had/built for only $100.

True, to a point, but some advantages of a rig is you can use a wide lens that's closer to the subject, and a slower shutter speed/smaller aperture combo without camera shake. Also at a slow enough shutter speed to blur the background the chances of a sharp image is better with a rig setup. I seriously doubt anyone could achieve a shot like jcolman's last shot with the Z above by panning/chase car.

For the most part I'd agree but I know a couple photogs who are really good with this technique and make it hard to tell. (Besides the angle that is)

Feel free to browse his site. http://www.nickelsvision.com/

As an object is passing you if it sufficiently large the front part of it may be moving away while the back part is coming towards you. The centre is then travelling perfectly with the lens and will be sharp (as with the subject in the carousel).

Whilst what you say is correct for objects in linear motion in the case of the carousel the primary reason for blurring (and one that will not change no matter how small the subject its) is that panning on a rotating object can only keep a single line at right angles to the panning axis sharp (a vertical line in this case) because in the plane of rotation every point on the circumference is moveing at a different velocity relative to the observer.

Whilst what you say is correct for objects in linear motion in the case of the carousel the primary reason for blurring (and one that will not change no matter how small the subject its) is that panning on a rotating object can only keep a single line at right angles to the panning axis sharp (a vertical line in this case) because in the plane of rotation every point on the circumference is moveing at a different velocity relative to the observer.

Yeah the effect is the same for a linear moving object as it is for the carousel just not quite as exaggerated. My comment about size relates to perceived acceptable quality loss. With a large object (car, carousel) the movement is plainly visible, compared to a smaller object that is the same distance away.

rig shots, panning, chase cars....they all take photos that at first glance may be similiar, but there are a lot of differences in them, and they each have their benefits depending on what you are trying to show.

rig shots are very good for wide angle detailed shots. everything is incredibly crisp and you are able to get angles that you just cant get with panning and a chase car. Also it allows you access to locations that you simply cannot use a chase car in.

The setup I am using cost around $600 including the boom pieces itself (aluminum). It consists of all Manfrotto components. The camera is held onto the boom by 2 super clamps, friction Magic Arm, and the camera mount.

rig shots, panning, chase cars....they all take photos that at first glance may be similiar, but there are a lot of differences in them, and they each have their benefits depending on what you are trying to show.

rig shots are very good for wide angle detailed shots. everything is incredibly crisp and you are able to get angles that you just cant get with panning and a chase car. Also it allows you access to locations that you simply cannot use a chase car in.

The setup I am using cost around $600 including the boom pieces itself (aluminum). It consists of all Manfrotto components. The camera is held onto the boom by 2 super clamps, friction Magic Arm, and the camera mount.

Got any pics of your setup?

Here's a rig I built for about $100. Most of the costs were from buying the industrial suction cups.

Those are some sweet shots, that last one is awesome
icon_thumright.gif
icon_thumright.gif

That is pretty awesome.. all around. From the rigs, to that guy who built his own rig - very cool, and awesome shots!!

Most reactions

Back