ernie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cyberliquid.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey,

i'm thinking of finally buying a new camera (DSLR) and since the dollar is at it's cheapest now when compared to the euro, i figured i'd buy one online from the US. only thing is i don't know any websites that are trustworthy and can guarantee good service.
so does anyone know websites like that? or wouldn't you recommend online buying alltogether? because i can imagine it'd be a hassle when there's a problem with your camera, having to ship it all the way back and whatnot.

also, what cameras can you suggest? price range is around 1000 euro's (would make some 1300 dollar i think). was thinking something like nikon d80 myself ...

- thanks

There are some banners/links on the top right side of the page, B&H and Adorama...both are very good.

b&h doesn't deliver outside usa.
found adorama through google, you can put the TPH ad link under here in case i decide to buy through there (couldn't find it on the site).

thanks already. any more?

Are you sure that B&H doens't deliver outside the USA? I'm in Canada and I've ordered from them several times. Their site says that they use UPS International for international shipping.

• Due to the manufacturer’s restrictions, B&H Photo is unable to ship this item to an international destination: We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
got this when i tried to order a nikon. but i'm guessing that's only with nikon and not other brands. but since i want a nikon ...

Do they have a toll free phone number? You could try calling them and asking why.

Many manufacturers have different products for the European market, than they do for the American or Asian markets. Sometimes it's just a minor difference like a slightly different name and instruction booklet. Other times, it has to do with different regulations for things like radio frequencies etc.

I guess you could try some other retailers...but you might just get the same answer.

thanks for the advice. found some interesting stuff on the second site, adorama. and you're sure that site isn't a fraud?

Check out places here:

http://www.resellerratings.com/rlist-s1-n2.html

However, many US retailers will NOT ship overseas - I think this is part of their license agreement with various manufacturers. If caught doing so they may lose the right to sell(?)

and personally, being outside NYC, I don't get the raves for B&H and some of the other NYC stores....... unless they treat their mail order customers better than us locals. Besides getting stuck with NY taxes - substantial - it seems that walk-ins are often handed the stuff that others return as problematic or defective. I've actually had better luck dealing with smaller brick and mortar retailers elsewhere that also have online sales. Smaller guys seem to care far more about their reputation.

If you're actually visiting the US you can readily buy stuff here - making arrangements to pick things up in person. Word on one forum is that you can get it back home by simply carrying it in - as previously owned (bring a worn backpack/photo bag with you). Just ship the packaging home first. But you're liable for taxes if caught.

Most reactions

Back