Question about cactus flash trigger

blythe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

just wanted to make sure before I purchased everything, if I wanted to fire two sb-600 via wireless all I need is the Cactus 4-Channel Wireless Flash Trigger Set V2s and another flash receiver right? I don't want to miss anything so I just wanted to make sure before I went ahead and purchased everything.

Visit the Strobist website. There is enough info there about JUST that, that you will be reading for days. Do a search there, don't just repost... you will get all the info on it you can handle, I promise.

The only thing I want you to be aware of, is that the SB-600s do not have a sync port... you will need to get 2 hotshoe adapters from flashzebra.com and a couple of sync connector wires. that is what the receivers will attach to.

I thought the Cactus V2 receivers have hotshoe and sync ports. I don't think an adapter was needed. Double check.

Yes, the receivers should have their own hotshoe, so the connecting cable shouldn't be required. And yes, if you are firing two flashes, you will need two receivers and you can fire them both with the same trigger.

The V2/V2's (version 2) does come with a stand with hot shoe and sync port. They specifically list SB-600 as compatable in their literature.

The V4's also work directly with SB-600's as I have 2 sets and 4 extra recievers and all work well so far (even with their cheap batteries).

And yes you order 1 kit and 1 extra reciever. For a dual flash set up.

I would suggest on buying the V4's though. In your case it would only be $11 more (1 set and 1 extra reciever) and you get better out of the box range.

thanks everyone!

Does anyone know where they can be purchased in the NYC area?

Also a good site online also? Someone lead me to gadget infinity but I rather purchase them in a store if possible.

thanks again

I thought the Cactus V2 receivers have hotshoe and sync ports. I don't think an adapter was needed. Double check.

No need to check, you are right, they do have it, however, I suggest that he do the hotshoe connector thing anyways for 2 reasons.

The receiver raises the flash a bit too high and when placed in an umbrella, it is past the center sweetspot. The second reason is that the receivers are a bit wobbly. I would not trust a $200+ flash in one of those. On top of that, I mod my receivers to use AA batteries... last longer than those damned weird and expensive ones that they want you to use and are easy to recharge and use again.

_JPH0205.jpg

_JPH0209.jpg

I just hang hang then from beside the hotshoe connector and they work well.

My blog on modding the Cactus V2s receivers and transmitter. It also explains how I get some very nice range with these things and how you can too. I get over 350 feet regularly and easily with these mods.

thanks everyone!

Does anyone know where they can be purchased in the NYC area?

Also a good site online also? Someone lead me to gadget infinity but I rather purchase them in a store if possible.

thanks again

As far as I know only Gadget Infinity and Midwest Photo Exchange sell them. I ordered mine directly from Gadget Infinity from China. It took about 2 weeks as they say it would. Midwest Photo Exchange sells them from the US but they tack on a little bit to the price so they can eek out a small proffit from it. So, you could order from them, and get them quicker. But have to pay a little bit more for that convience.

I've not looked at the price lately, but MPEX out of Ohio was $1 more for the triggers but $1 less for the receivers, plus shipping was a little less from Ohio than Hong Kong (maybe a couple bucks).

Check out both places before doing the order. Both are reliable places to purchase from, MPEX is just 1/2 a world closer... lol

When I did my order Mpex was $32 more for the actual items (2 V4 kits, and 4 extra recievers), and the shipping was $8 more (was UPS though). So, by waiting 2 weeks vs. 3-4 days I saved $40. Which for me was no biggie as I was not even at home anyway. I beat them home by 2 days. Which was pretty good timing, I thought.

But I don't blame them for the higher prices. As they do need to tack some on so they can make a little. Just in my situation, I didn't need them that quick.

Right now, they are $32.95 at GI and $29.95 at MPEX for the same thing (1 transmitter, 1 receiver), but from GI you get some 50 cent plastic stand for free for that 3 dollar higher price. Shipping is less from MPEX... exact differences vary by location.

Right now, they are $32.95 at GI and $29.95 at MPEX for the same thing (1 transmitter, 1 receiver), but from GI you get some 50 cent plastic stand for free for that 3 dollar higher price. Shipping is less from MPEX... exact differences vary by location.

If they match or even have better pricing on the V2's wonder why there is a 15% roughly higher price for the V4's? Because they are new maybe?? Or maybe Mpex not getting as much of a wholesale discount on them??

Eh, doesn't really matter. So far my wife is very happy with them. Even with the "test" batteries. It rained so much when I was home, I didn't do a range test similar to the one you did with the modded v2's. I have enough property and a 300' tape. Just need the time to do it when I get back home from this current work trip. She has already used them a couple times for some real estate work. So far no problems (still have the included batteries in them).

I was almost going to get the new PW's when I saw the V4's and the cheap bug bit me. Hopefully these will last a couple years. If they last a couple I will be happy with the money spent.

yeah B&H doesnt carry them I checked the website....... I guess I will have to order them online.

Can anyone explain what the big difference is between the V2 and the V4?

Also what are those varta batteries they charge extra for? Are they super powered? lol

Most reactions

Back