question about cactus v4 system

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by robertwsimpson, May 11, 2010.

1. robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So, I was playing around last night with my new transmitter and receivers, and I was thinking, man these pics could use just a little bit of fill from a flash that's on the camera... I only have 2 receivers, so I can't put another flash near the lens. I was wondering if it is possible and/or advisable to use the PC link to plug in the transmitter and then pop another flash (or use the pop up flash) on the camera for just a little bit more fill...

I'm new at using off camera flash. Don't hurt me!

2. robertwsimpson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Also, I'm planning on trying it tonight just to see how it works. I'd like to shoot the background with 2 powerful flashes, and illuminate the subject with a weaker flash that I have... I know it's not going to create ultra-dramatic lighting, but it might yield interesting results. One of the flashes I have doesn't work on a cactus receiver anyway.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That should work just fine.

What I often do, is fire a remote flash with a radio trigger plugged into the camera's PC port, but then also use an on-camera flash (430EX) in E-TTL mode.

The remote flash is manual so I can adjust it's exposure by changing the aperture or ISO. I can adjust the exposure from the on-camera flash with FEC. So with that (plus using the shutter speed to control the ambient exposure) I practically have full control over the lighting conditions.

My usual plan of attack is using the remote flash as the main light, and then using the on-camera as fill.

4. robertwsimpson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's exactly what I was thinking... I have a little dinky quantaray flash to put on camera, which I would probably leave at the lowest setting, just for fill. I have two other pretty strong units that I could use as my main lighting. Cool to hear I am not the first one to think of this!